USF’s Kasean Pryor is third player to leave men’s basketball this week

Junior forward Kasean Pryor attempting a layup against East Carolina on March 15. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF men’s basketball was hit with another offseason departure as junior forward Kasean Pryor declared for the NBA Draft while entering the transfer portal. 

The junior forward joins notable departures senior guards Chris Youngblood and Selton Miguel. This announcement means the Bulls have lost their top three scorers.

Pryor announced his departure from USF on X.

“I want to thank the University of South Florida for welcoming me with open arms and embracing me for who I am,” Pryor said on X. “And to Coach Amir and the rest of the staff for giving me this opportunity and seeing my potential.”

The NCAA allows athletes, pending an evaluation by its undergraduate advisory committee, the choice to declare for the draft while maintaining their remaining college eligibility.

Related: Kasean Pryor is finally experiencing a breakthrough

Before transferring to USF, Pryor played for Boise State for two seasons and appeared in 13 games during his tenure. 

He then transferred to a junior college, Northwest Florida. As a sophomore, he played  35 games, averaging 14.8 points and eight rebounds.

Pryor, who started 21 out of 32 games this season, played a crucial role for the Bulls. He secured 13 points and 7.9 rebounds per game and had a team-high 23 blocks.

He  had six games with 20 points or more, significantly contributing to the team’s turnaround season. The 6-foot-10 junior displayed his versatility on both ends of the floor.

Pryor’s season came with standout performances. He used his offensive ability to score a season-high 29 points, contributing to a win against Rice on Jan. 12. Then, Pryor secured 25 points and 10 rebounds in a victory against Wichita State on Jan. 21. 

After averaging a double-double during that stretch, Pryor was named AAC Player of the Week.