USF women’s basketball recruits former Temple starter

Ines Piper is the most recent player to join the Bulls through the transfer portal. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF women’s basketball coach Jose Fernandez is back on the recruiting trail following rumors he considered departing. 

Related: Jose Hernandez to stay with USF after approach from Miami

Former Temple forward Ines Piper announced her transfer to USF on Monday. Piper, a senior, has one year of eligibility remaining.

A native of Paris, France, Piper played three seasons with the Owls from 2021-2024. She played a pivotal role for the Owls last season.

She averaged 6.8 points per game and started in 29 games this season. 

However, she could prove to be a vital defensive player. She was second on the team in total blocks with 30 and averaged 4.9 rebounds per game. Piper was named to the AAC Honor Roll on Dec. 11.

“I can be a three-level scorer,” Piper told the Temple News last year. “It is difficult for a post player to guard someone who is versatile and has guard skills so I feel like that is the best part of my game.”

Before her stint with the Owls, Piper spent a year at the JUCO level with North West Florida State College. She was named to the 2020-21 All-Panhandle Conference Second Team and won a 2021 national title.

Basketball seems to run in Piper’s family. Her father, Fred, played four seasons at Northwestern State before playing professionally in Europe. Piper’s mother and sister also played professionally in France.