USF men’s basketball was gutted by the transfer portal. Here’s who remains on the roster.

Junior forward Kasean Pryor (pictured left) is the latest Bull to enter the transfer portal last week. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Things move pretty quickly in this new world of college basketball thanks in large part to the explosion of the transfer portal. 

Less than a month removed from a second round exit in the National Invitation Tournament, USF men’s basketball looks a lot different than it did in mid-March.

In the span of a week, the Bulls lost three prominent players in senior guard Selton Miguel, junior forward Kasean Pryor and, most notably, senior forward Chris Youngblood.

Related: USF’s Kasean Pryor is third player to leave men’s basketball this week

Youngblood, who followed USF head coach Amir Abdur-Rahim from Kennesaw State last season, entered the transfer portal on April 7.

He was ranked as the 15th best small forward in the portal by 247 Sports and committed to Alabama on Saturday, returning to his hometown of Tuscaloosa. 

Abdur-Rahim took to X on Friday to calm the nerves of Bulls Nation who might be concerned with the team’s top three scorers leaving Tampa.

“We’re going to put together a big-time team, and our culture is elite,” Abdur-Rahim said. “So Bulls Nation, R-E-L-A-X. Relax! Let’s stay focused on what’s in front of us.”

Despite the tough losses, the Bulls have many players returning from last season’s AAC regular season title winning squad.

Related: Season in review: Taking a look at USF men’s basketball’s magical run

Returning backcourt talent

Freshman guard Jayden Reid was excellent in his debut college season, leading the team with 3.1 assists per game, the 13th most in the conference.

He contributed 6.8 points per game, showing his potential as a scorer with a bigger role and more minutes.

Abdur-Rahim speaks very highly of Reid, even campaigning late in the season for his recognition as the AAC’s freshman player of the year.

“If Jayden Reid doesn’t win Freshman of the Year in the American conference it’s a travesty,” Abdur-Rahim said after the team’s home finale against Tulane on March 5. “You show me another freshman that has his production, his numbers and has impacted winning (like he has).”

Reid will look to have a breakout season after starting in just 13 games for the Bulls last year.

Sophomore guard Kobe Knox will also look for more minutes next season after averaging 8.4 points and 2.9 rebounds a game in 2023-24.

The Bulls are still in the running for Knox’s brother Karter, a five-star prospect that recently decommitted from Kentucky following John Calipari’s exit as the Wildcats head coach.

USF will look to keep both Tampa natives at home to compete for an AAC crown.

Recruiting-wise, the Bulls have one signee in guard CJ Brown, the 12th ranked guard in the class.

Brown is a native of Marietta, GA, and his high school, Kell, is just a 13 minute drive from Kennesaw State University, where Abdur-Rahim previously coached.

The 6-foot-2-inch point guard could team up with Reid to form an elite backcourt duo with time.

Bulking up the frontcourt

Abdur-Rahim has been looking into the transfer portal as well, bringing in Cincinnati center Jamille Reynolds on April 2.

The 6-foot-1-inch senior, who is from St. Petersburg, averaged 5.5 points and 4 rebounds per game for the Bearcats last season.

Reynolds will be a solid addition to a USF frontcourt that often struggled to rebound against bigger opponents in 2023.

Freshman center Daniel Tobiloba stands at 7-feet and will also play a pivotal role in securing rebounds after seeing minimal time last year.

The Bulls have retained junior forward Corey Walker Jr. as well.

After averaging 4.0 points and 3.3 rebounds per game last season, Walker Jr. looks to solidify his role on the team.

With all of this returning and incoming talent, Abdur-Rahim has high hopes for the future of South Florida basketball, despite losses suffered in the transfer portal.

“(Last season) wasn’t a fluke,” Abdur-Rahim said on X. “You don’t go 16-2 in conference (for no reason). We were consistent because our culture was consistent. So, Bulls Nation, let’s get to it and focus in on what’s in front of us.”