USF’s Selton Miguel enters transfer portal, NBA draft

Senior guard Selton Miguel (middle) attempting a shot against Memphis on Jan. 18. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF men’s basketball has been surviving the offseason without many significant losses. On Friday afternoon, that changed. 

Senior guard Selton Miguel announced he will be entering the 2024 NBA Draft, and will also enter the transfer portal as a graduate transfer, according to his Instagram

“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to play at South Florida for the past two years and the family I created while being here,” he said on Instagram. “This season helped shape me more than I could have imagined.”

The Oracle needs your help. Learn how

NCAA rules allow athletes to enter the draft without giving up their remaining collegiate eligibility as long as they are evaluated by the NCAA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. 

Despite coming off the bench for most of the season, Miguel was a key piece behind the Bulls’ unprecedented turnaround. He averaged 14.7 points per game on 41% shooting. 

Miguel transferred to USF in 2022 after two seasons at Kansas State. He played in 30 games in his first season with the Bulls, averaging 10.3 points and 3.3 assists per game. 

Miguel led the Bulls’ offensively in their two upsets over ranked opponents this season. He scored 23 points in a win over Memphis on Jan. 18, and a career-high 25 points in a win over FAU on Feb. 18. 

Related: Season in review: Taking a look at USF men’s basketball’s magical run

He won the AAC Sixth Man of the Year Award and was named to the AAC Second-Team. Miguel was also named as the Most Improved Player in the conference.