USF men’s basketball season ends in NIT second-round loss to VCU

Senior guard Chris Youngblood rises for a jump shot against Temple on Jan. 4. He scored 21 points in the second half of Sunday’s game against VCU. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF men’s basketball dominated opponents in the Yuengling Center throughout the 2023-24 season.

The Bulls (25-8) had a 15-2 home record heading into their matchup against Virginia Commonwealth in the second round of the National Invitation Tournament (NIT). 

Since their loss against Maine on Nov. 22, the Bulls had won 14 straight contests and sold out the last three games of the regular season. 

It seemed fitting that USF students waited nearly three hours for tickets to catch a final glimpse of this historic Bulls squad in their home area against the Rams (24-13). However, students witnessed the Bulls’ postseason come to an early end on Sunday night.

In front of an announced crowd of 6,938, USF lost to VCU 70-65 in the second round of the NIT, ending its season and winning streak at home.

Related: ‘It’s been crazy’: USF students crowd Yuengling Center before second-round NIT matchup 

Bulls coach Amir Abdur-Rahim said he is disappointed that his time with his players came to an end. 

“Regardless of the outcome, I’m really proud of this group,” Abdur-Rahim said. “It’s a group that nobody gave a chance to start the season.” 

The Bulls have made surreal comebacks this season against teams like Memphis and Charlotte. They seemed poised to do so once again against the Rams.

USF climbed back from an eight-point deficit with over seven minutes remaining in the second half to make it a one-point game. 

Senior guard Selton Miguel was fouled on a made layup attempt with 21 seconds remaining. Miguel’s potential game-tying free-throw rimmed out.  

Abdur-Rahim said Miguel’s rough shooting night does not represent what he has meant to the Bulls all season long.

“I don’t want this to sound harsh, but it’s part of life,” he said. “What he does after that is more important.  I told him ‘Man, you better walk with your head high – the number of games he’s helped us win this year.’”

Related: USF men’s basketball takes down UCF in physical NIT battle – The Oracle

He added: “The thing I love about this group more than anything is that when he missed that free throw, all four of those guys on the court said: ‘Next play, next play don’t worry about it let’s go.’ That’s what it’s about.”

The Bulls and the Rams matched each other point for point throughout the first half. Both teams combined for 11 lead changes as USF ended the half down 32-30. 

The Bulls’ offensive rebounding kept them within striking distance. USF corralled in 38 rebounds and 15 on the offensive glass. Their offensive rebounds converted into 15-second chance points. 

Second-half heroics from senior guard Chris Youngblood also kept the Bulls afloat. The Co-AAC Player of the Year scored 21 of his 28 points in the final half.

Throughout the game, the Bulls shot poorly from the three-point line. They shot four of 20, or 20%, from the three. It’s a stark contrast from their season average of 36.8%.

“I thought the first half we, for the first time in a long long time, got selfish,” Abdur-Rahim said. “We didn’t let the ball move as smoothly as we normally do. And we took rushed threes in the first half”

While the Bulls’ season may have ended, Abdur-Rahim said this group has set a standard for next year.

“The journey is the gift,” Abdur-Rahim said. “From where we started to where we finished, they stayed true to each other, they stayed committed to each other. That is the gift. They created lifelong bonds, great memories together.”