OPINION: USF students, light up the ballot this fall to legalize marijuana

Florida’s Supreme Court is allowing the fate of recreational marijuana to be in the hands of voters. ORACLE GRAPHIC / JEISLIAN QUILES-SIERRA

Ah, the high life.

The issue of recreational marijuana has been debated for years. All smokers know that when it comes to leisurely weed use, the grass is indeed greener.

“Of course recreational marijuana should be decriminalized. It’s literally a f—— plant,” said a sophomore respondent to a survey from The Oracle.

In November, students should vote ‘yes’ on recreational marijuana which will help recognize individual freedoms as well as shift focus to bigger legal problems at hand.

In Florida, marijuana is only legal for medicinal purposes, leaving recreational use illegal under state law. Florida Amendment 3 will be on the state’s ballot proposing the legalization of recreational weed.

Support independent student journalism

The amendment, known as the Marijuana Legalization Initiative, would legalize recreational weed use for adults 21 and older as well as the possession of up to three ounces of marijuana.

To pass, an amendment needs 60% of voter approval. If the amendment passes on the ballot, it will be ratified into the state constitution.

Related: Abortion and marijuana amendments are pressing concerns for USF students

Weed should not have to be prescribed for its benefits to be enjoyed.

The plant is known to reduce depression and increase quality of life among users. It is also proven to help with pain management and inflammation, according to the National Institute of Health.

All adults should be able to access these benefits, with or without a green card.

If anyone is in need of marijuana’s therapeutic effects, it’s college students. 

Legalizing recreational marijuana will promote the sale of better monitored products by the state, which will make it safer for consumption. 

People will smoke regardless of the laws surrounding recreational marijuana. In 2017, the Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality estimated that there were 2.3 million illegal marijuana users in Florida that year.

The way things are right now, Floridians are gambling when they get their weed from unknown sources. 

Related: OPINION: Overwhelmed with school? Try journaling.

THC oil cartridges are popular among teenagers and young adults. Cannabis vaping can lead to lung injury and long-term health risks due to them containing highly processed products, reported the National Institute of Health.

Delta-8 THC and Delta-9 THC are common marijuana strains that produce similar psychoactive effects to cannabis and can be found in cartridges at any smoke shop. However, these substances are not FDA approved

The weed sold by dealers isn’t the safest bet either. Unregulated carts may contain harmful contaminants and heavy metals such as arsenic and mercury. 

Legalizing recreational marijuana will direct consumers away from street and smoke shop weed, where products are unregulated and potentially unsafe.

Some rely on this weed that is so loosely regulated, leading to health anxieties.

I have a green card but I have a concern for others I know that don’t have one. My sister ended up in the ER because of the lack of this,” said a surveyed senior majoring in environmental science.

It is scary not knowing what is in the products consumed. If the state controlled the ingredients and potency of THC cartridges, smoking could become safer and worry-free.

Marijuana also deserves to be decriminalized because it will relieve our criminal system of people serving “devil’s lettuce”-related crimes. 

Arrests for non-violent crimes like drug possession occur too often.

An FBI report stated that in 2019 more Americans were arrested for cannabis charges than all combined violent crimes. Of these cannabis charges, 92% were for possession of the plant.

Under Florida Statute 893.13, the possession of 20 or more grams is punishable by a fee and up to a year in jail.

Legalizing recreational marijuana will also unburden our justice system of non-violent criminals.

Law enforcement should instead focus on more pressing matters that threaten our state. Assaults, domestic violence and DUIs all deserve the attention that people facing weed possession charges receive. 

Some USF students have made it clear that they do not believe decriminalization of recreational weed is something that our state legislature should enable. 

“Why would this be beneficial? If someone needed to use marijuana as a medicinal aid, they can do so,” responded student Trevor Slatery, a senior in finance. “You need recreational aid? Read a book.” 

There’s nothing wrong with using the plant for ‘funsies’ – in moderation, of course.

THC stimulates the brain by affecting cannabinoid receptors, it heightens senses. Recreational marijuana use can enhance everyday activities and can be a bonding experience shared among friends. 

Besides, true potheads know it’s possible to read and partake in recreational marijuana at the same time. Why not enjoy both?