OPINION: Overwhelmed with school? Try journaling

When the notes app no longer suffices, it’s time to pick up a pen and start journaling. ORACLE PHOTO/JUSTIN SEECHARAN

Self-care looks different for everyone. Some people choose to have a spa night, some turn to exercise and others jam to music.

I’ve tried all these things and found out that for me, simply doing a face mask is not enough to satisfy my self-care needs. 

Nothing seemed to help me manage the stress of college life — except journaling. It’s the only way I feel relaxed and understood. 

Everyone should keep a leather-bound safe space. If journaling can help a high stress girl through the toughest of times, it can help you too. 

Related: OPINION: Wish you were on vacation for USF spring break? I didn’t.

Journals are a great method for goal-setting and record-keeping. Physically writing down objectives has helped me conquer them and keep me motivated. 

More specifically, journaling has helped me to keep working on my weight loss journey. I’ve been working towards this goal for years now, with a specific weight in mind. 

Journaling allows me to visualize and maintain focus on these goals. I can keep my eye on the prize, while also being reminded of how far I have come. 

Even though talking to friends and family is helpful, I don’t want to over-rely on other people for my stress management. No one wants to be that friend who gossips about personal problems or yaps someone’s ear off about something unimportant. 

Journaling has allowed me to do the same venting and ‘tea-spilling’ sessions, just in a more productive manner. 

I’ve found that writing things and feelings down on paper is the best method for emotional release without overwhelming the people around me with drama. 

Of course it’s important to talk to the people we are closest to about things bothering us. But sometimes it can be more beneficial to write your problems out first to get a better understanding of them before involving others.

These topics can be fun to talk through with friends but it’s better to grapple with these things privately on paper than to spend time oversharing.

Since I’ve started journaling, my ‘diary’ has become my best friend and confidant. I love being able to have somewhere to store all my thoughts, both the good and the bad ones.

Writing down my emotions and thoughts has also encouraged me to become more present and mindful. When I am able to purge my thoughts onto paper it allows me to be more in the moment.

Related: USF midterms are here. 10 tips to help you pass them.

I think journaling is one of the highest expressions of emotional intelligence, it allows for a deeper train of thought when self-reflecting.

I’ve kept the same journal for about three years now, and it’s always interesting to cringe and fondly look at old entries. It’s like going through your old Instagram posts from middle school, sometimes visiting nostalgic memories is fun.

Oftentimes, the best part of my day is when I get to crack open the spine of my diary. 

Although it’s stressful being a student, journaling can help alleviate the overwhelming feelings. Why not give it a try?