OPINION: USF SG, you can’t lead a university if you can’t lead by example

If SG leaders can’t even get together in the same room to have a civil conversation, how are they going to be representatives for an already divided college campus? ORACLE PHOTO/JEISLIAN QUILES-SIERRA

Apparently, everybody has the right to speak their mind, until it’s an unpopular opinion. 

And the recent drama from SG leaders only further proves that there is little respect for different opinions on a university campus.

USF Student Body President Cesar Esmeraldi posted a video on April 9 on both his own and SG’s official Instagram page. The post encouraged senators to vote against the “USF Investment and Divestment Visibility” resolution asking that USF divest from companies supporting Israel and publish its investment portfolio.

The very next day, USF Student Body Vice President Elizabeth Volmy posted a video on SG’s account and her own. She robotically criticized Esmeraldi for inappropriately posting the video on the SG page.

Like what you’re reading? Support us

Despite Esmeraldi not consulting other campus’ SG, according to his post, Esmeraldi should be able to state his opinion on the SG Instagram.

SG has a right to speak their opinions and backlash received is only feeding into the political division on campus. Students should respect that there are other opinions and not feed into the polarization in higher education.

Related: Dear pro-Palestine students, starving yourself won’t stop the children in Gaza from starving

The job of SG is to advocate on behalf of the student body, and that’s exactly what Esmeraldi did.

The resolution barely passed with 16 votes in favor and 15 against, showcasing that the student body president’s opinion does showcase half of the student body. 

Yet, Esmeraldi’s post quickly blew up with comments criticizing it as being “not representative of the student body,” “unprofessional” and “an overreach of executive power.”

Volmy’s post received comments about whether SG is going to take down Esmeraldi’s video. 

Despite the backlash, Esmeraldi has the right to speak his opinion, especially when the opinion he represents is being quieted in the midst of the pro-Palestine protests.

Although Esmeraldi has a right to speak his opinion, he is not respecting Volmy’s.

When the SG leaders met with The Oracle for their end of term recap interviews, they did so individually with Esmeraldi calling for the childish separation. 

“I’m very happy with everything we’ve built,” Esmeraldi said. “But because of recent events, I really don’t feel comfortable and I thought it would be better to do it separately.”

Volmy, on the other hand, believed that the two should have come together despite their disagreements.

“I feel like we’re both adults,” Volmy said. “I can be in a room with him.”

With higher education being the most politically polarizing institution in America, the SG division only adds flame to the fire. 

SG should be able to share their opinions, but it’s especially hypocritical for Esmeraldi to publicly proclaim his opinion, but not privately respect Volmy’s by refusing to do an interview together. 

If SG leaders can’t even get together in the same room to have a civil conversation, how are they going to be representatives for an already divided college campus?

And if students are hating on SG for having beliefs, how is higher education going to be a place where different opinions can have conversations and be represented?

USF SG members should be able to share their opinions, but they first need to respect each other’s beliefs. The current division between the SG representatives and student body is only contributing to political polarization on college campuses. 

Students need to learn how to respect that other people will have different opinions – and SG should be a prime example of that.