OPINION: Estudiantes de USF, es hora de aprender un segundo idioma

USF Students, it’s time to learn a second language. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/UNSPLASH

Didn’t understand this headline? You might want to consider taking up a second language.

I remember the first time I recognized the value of knowing a second language.

I was waitressing at this dinky hibachi restaurant and my next table had just been sat. 

The customers looked frazzled. I could tell they were having difficulty placing a food order. 

“¿Hablas español?” I was asked. 

And at the time I didn’t, but I really, really wish I did.

Knowing a language other than English would have been handy in this instance and many others. I spent just 30 minutes each day dedicated to studying a new language to improve my social life and resume, and students should too.

Related: OPINION: Overwhelmed with school? Try journaling.

I had to bring over our bartender who was fluent in Spanish, as well as English and French. I was relieved watching her swoop in, but I wish I could have done more to help this family. 

It was almost embarrassing for me. Here was this bartender who spoke three languages, and I oftentimes have trouble comprehending just one. 

Knowing Spanish as a second language is a helpful skill, especially in Florida. Spanish is the second most spoken language in the state. 

Only 20% of Americans are fluent in two or more languages, according to the 2023 U.S. Census Bureau.

But this number should be higher. 

Although it was a graduation requirement to study two years of a foreign language in high school, what I learned in the classroom was not enough. 

I’ve been studying Spanish using online tools like Duolingo and Babbel, reading books in Spanish and simply talking to Spanish speakers in their native tongue (or at least trying to.)

The journey of learning a second language has introduced me to Latin music and literature that would have seemed unapproachable to me otherwise. 

Bad Bunny, a Latin Hip-Hop artist from Puerto Rico, was my top Spotify artist for 2023. 

“The House on Mango Street”  by Sandra Cisneros has been cemented as one of my favorites. Cisneros is a Mexican-American author who wrote this book detailing the experiences of her growing up, as she struggled to find a sense of belonging and identity in America.

I likely never would have thought to expand the media I consume without learning a second language. 

It’s sad, but true.

Related: OPINION: I judged a book by its cover and you should too

The most important reason to learn a second language is to broaden the social bubble. 

For me, I no longer feel disconnected from a large group of people that I had not been able to communicate with.

Growing up, all of my friends came from Spanish-speaking families. My friend used to relay what I was saying when I visited their house, but now I am able to hold my own in a conversation. 

Learning a second language, especially Spanish, has unlocked a whole new world full of benefits in my social and professional life.

And honestly, engaging with others in their native tongue is one of the best feelings.

College is the optimal time for students with free time to consider learning a new language, since this is the period in one’s life where students strive to build their resume. 

Many employers in Florida seek out bilingual applicants, because speaking two languages is a skill that is in high demand in the workplace.

What better way to start building your resume than from the comfort of your home. There are plenty of online resources that can help you learn a new language.

Setting aside 30 minutes a day for studying a new language is all that is needed to get started on the pathway to fluency. Personally, I will study until I run out of Duolingo hearts.

Beware of the Duolingo bird though. Legend has it that if you don’t do your daily language exercises, Duo will watch you sleep from the foot of your bed.