OPINION: Slay the USF classroom to slay the professional world

USF student dressed up for class. ORACLE PHOTO/CHLOE NGUYEN

Let’s be honest, caring about appearances in college can be difficult – but did you know it can help prepare you for the professional world?

College is where young adults get ready for the future and dressing up for class is a key part to success.

Students should dress up because it can help establish professionalism, create a good reputation for themselves and boost self-confidence

For me, dressing up for classes gives me the confidence and creative freedom I need for the day.

I take inspiration from my peers and social media, like Pinterest to find outfits, making getting ready a fun way to start the day.

I enjoy dressing up because it makes me feel prepared and helps create a routine for my future career.

Not only do I think it’s important to dress up, but others do as well.

Dressing up can impact the learning environment by boosting confidence levels which is especially important to help study motivation during finals week. 

“If you take your time to pick out a well-coordinated outfit for class, you’re more than likely to have the mental willingness to be present in the class,” said Vice President of Kouture Fashion Club at USF Tatiana Saavedra. 

When setting up for a great day, looking good increases self-esteem and helps others have a positive perception, according to a study by Northwestern University

Dressing up can also show that students are prepared and ready for class.

Appearance is a part of social culture. It can influence how we interact with others and create judgments of people, according to a 2019 study from the National Library of Medicine. 

“You have to establish credibility and that means that you have to conduct yourself in a professional manner,” Gert-Jan de Vreede, interim dean and professor for Muma College of Business, told The Oracle.

“The way you take care of your appearance goes a long way towards establishing that trust and establishing your credibility,” he said.

When students dress up they show that they are trustworthy and prepared for class which can influence professionals.

No matter the career that students fall into, first impressions are always important. 

Although we are told not to judge a book by its cover, it can be within our nature to judge in a professional setting. As a business professional, de Veerde says appearance is a key ingredient for success in building relationships with peers and professionals.

Yet, dressing up can be hard to think about as a busy college student. 

“Our days are filled with classes, clubs, events and jobs, so sometimes our days can naturally feel overwhelming when we get up in the morning,” said President of Kouture Fashion Club Kelly Reid. 

Dressing up should still be a priority to achieve success. It doesn’t take long to dress up before the start of the day. Planning outfits ahead of time can also be helpful for busy college days.

To achieve an improved work ethic through dressing up, find something to wear that is comfortable and confident, which can include accessories. 

“Adding jewelry makes me feel better about myself, which trickles into my work ethic. If I’m wearing an outfit that makes me feel confident and put together, nothing can stop me,” said Reid.

Dress up, show up and feel like you can take on the world.