OPINION: Change your finals season from all-nighters to all-A’s.

Consistent sleep schedules are the key to a successful finals season. ORACLE PHOTO/JUSTIN SEECHARAN

You’ve probably received advice from your parents and doctors, urging you to get the recommended seven hours of sleep every night. 

A September study proposes that sleep regularity, regardless of hours, is an equally important habit. While getting enough sleep is still vital, maintaining a consistent schedule is a more feasible adjustment to the chaotic college lifestyle.

As finals week – and the tradition of all-nighters – looms at USF, a successful semester depends on a consistent sleep schedule. Establishing sufficient and regular sleep yields many advantages, including reduced stress and anxiety, heightened attention span, enhanced focus and improved memory. 

USF professor and specialist in sleep epidemiology Chighaf Bakour said sleep regularity throughout the week is important as it leads to improved quality of sleep and enhanced overall wellbeing.

“Having a regular sleep schedule can make it easier for students to cope with daily stress and improve their alertness and performance on tests,” Bakour said. 

The brain’s daily sleep requirements are a consistent subject of scientific research. However, sleep has long been acknowledged as a crucial habit for overall health and well-being. This rings especially true for overworked, stressed and under-rested college students.

College students are notorious for sacrificing sleep. About 20% of U.S. college students engage in all-nighters at least once a month, and 35% stay awake past 3 a.m. at least once a week. But the detriment to students is more than just feeling sleepy the next day.

Insufficient sleep causes the stress hormone, cortisol, to rise and this increases stress and worsens anxiety, according to Bakour. Sleep not only reduces these effects but also it is vital for cognitive functions like attention and memory, as well as emotional regulation and physical health.

These symptoms of poor sleep inevitably impact academic performance. A recent MIT study unveiled a notable correlation between sleep and grades. There were three major findings of the study:

• Sleep regularity has a significant impact on academic performance. Students whose sleep schedules varied by even half an hour had grades 48% lower than those with less sleep variation.
  • Academic performance remained nearly the same for all students as long as they went to bed before 2 a.m. Afterwards, performance is negatively impacted. 
  • Good rest the night before an exam doesn’t matter. Good sleeping habits are most impactful on days where you’re learning the material. For academic success, students must establish regular sleep schedules and get adequate sleep while studying in the weeks before exams.

The key to an A on your finals lies in creating a regular, personalized sleep schedule. Students may feel they don’t have time to get a solid eight hours of sleep every night – particularly in busy seasons like finals week. However, consistent sleep schedules are even more important than length of sleep. This is a tangible goal for even the busiest of students. 

As academic pressures escalate over finals season, USF students must commit to a regular and rejuvenating sleep routine.