St. Petersburg campus holds pep rally for spring football scrimmage

USF St. Petersburg will be hosting a pep rally today at Bay Walk to promote Saturday’s Spring Game at Raymond James Stadium.

The pep rally will feature speakers such as football coach Jim Leavitt, Regional Chancellor Karen A. White, assistant athletic director Jim Louk and Bob Foster, a St. Petersburg City Council member.

The pep rally will begin at 12:30 p.m. in the Bay Walk courtyard, with the Herd of Thunder Marching Band kicking it off. The Sun Dolls and USF cheerleaders will be performing at the pep rally as well, said Holly Kickliter, a representative from USF St. Petersburg media relations. The pep rally is being held in support of the Spring Game, a scrimmage to preview the upcoming fall football season.

“This is the first time the St. Petersburg campus has ever hosted this event,” Kickliter said. “USF is trying to broaden its fan base to include St. Petersburg residents.”

During the event, which is open to the public, USF Athletics and the St. Petersburg Times will be giving away complementary tickets to Saturday’s game.

Many of the restaurants at Bay Walk will be offering discounts to USF students, faculty, staff and alumni who present their USF IDs today, including Dish, Tokyo Sushi, Johnny Rockets and Dan Marino’s.

“We’re hoping these (price cuts at local restaurants) will be an incentive for people to come out to the pep rally,” Kickliter said.

The pep rally will begin at 12:30 today in the center courtyard at Bay Walk.