A hidden function makes watch more than meets the eye

USB Memory Watch

Keeping track of files can now be easily accomplished with a watch that allows for its wearer to always keep them within arms reach.

With the size of files growing over the years, it has become a necessity to turn to larger method of file storage other than traditional diskettes.

Although CDs are getting closer to taking over the spot once held by floppy disks, it starts to become a matter of convenience when trying to transfer files from one location to another.

That’s why I find the USB Memory Watch from thinkgeek.com to be an excellent combination of convenience and portability.

Measuring the size of a standard watch, the device conceals a USB cord that tucks nicely under the bottom part of the strap. When needed, the strap is unwound and plugged into a standard USB port.

Contained within the watch are the mechanisms that drive the clockwork and a circuit board that contains the memory and connection point for the USB cable.

It was simple to set up in Windows XP as the operating system immediately recognized the device as soon as I plugged it in. It immediately displayed under My Computer as a removable storage device and functioned much the same as standard drive.

Within seconds of plugging it in, I was transferring files by dragging them over within the My Computer screen. I was able to transfer a 50-megabyte file within 1 minute.

This is about on par with other portable storage devices I have used before, so there was nothing too shocking. After I was finished transferring the files, I unplugged the watch and was on my way.

One of the best features of the watch was its construction, which made it look inconspicuously normal, considering its contents. This would allow someone to not attract the eyes of a thief looking to find a free portable memory drive.

The watches range in price depending on size, but the three available versions are the 128-meg for $80, the 256-meg for $120 and 512-meg for $200.

Rating—————-5/5

Gustavo Hernandez