Bulls for bowls: Fresh Kitchen to open near USF Tampa this summer

A photo of the new Fresh Kitchen location opening this summer at the corner of Bruce B. Downs and Fowler Avenue. Taken 04/22/24. ORACLE PHOTO/CLINTON ENGELBERGER

Eating healthier just got easier for USF students.

A new Fresh Kitchen location will open this summer near the USF Tampa campus on the corner of Bruce B. Downs Boulevard and Fowler Avenue. 

Related: New Sprouts location to open near USF Tampa campus on Friday – The Oracle 

Construction on the building is complete and all final touches will be finished in about two weeks, Monica Duarte, a supervisor of construction for the location, said.

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s opening soon, however. It’s unclear when the building will be fully staffed and ready to welcome guests.

Fresh Kitchen’s website says the location will open “summer 2024,” and no job applications have opened at the time of publication.

Before, students had to drive about 20 minutes to New Tampa to get a taste of the restaurant’s variety of healthy bowls. That location opened in 2021.

Related: Here’s why some MSC restaurants haven’t extended hours – The Oracle 

Students will be able to drive less than 10 minutes to the new location.

Fresh Kitchen is a quick service restaurant that was established in Florida in 2014, where its first location opened in South Tampa. The new spot will be the chain’s 15th location.

The restaurant allows guests to build bowls featuring their choices of bases, protein, vegetable and sauce.

Bases include brown rice, chilled sweet potato noodles and kale slaw. Proteins and veggies include grilled citrus chicken, grilled herb steak, basil mushrooms and shaved brussels sprouts.

For students who self-identify as “college broke,” a “four bowl” might be the most cost-effective option. This bowl includes two bases, a vegetable, a protein and a sauce for $10.25.

However, for those looking for a little extra protein punch, a “six bowl” includes two bases, two vegetables, two proteins and one sauce for $13.25.

Stampede, don’t walk, to Fresh Kitchen this summer.

Like what you read? Donate now