USF’s Jose Fernandez in talks to coach at University of Miami

Bulls head coach Jose Fernandez, a Miami native, recently completed his 24th season at the helm. ORACLE PHOTO/ALEXANDRA URBAN

USF women’s basketball may see a coaching change soon.

Representatives of Bulls coach Jose Fernandez have engaged in discussions with the University of Miami regarding the Hurricanes’ vacant head coach position, according to multiple reports.

USF has not made an official announcement. The Oracle has reached out for comment.

The Hurricanes are looking to fill the position left by former coach Katie Meier’s retirement.

Fernandez, 52, is a Miami native and Florida International University alumnus. He earned his bachelor’s degree in physical education in 1991. 

Related: A legacy unmatched 

He had various coaching gigs in the Miami-Dade area, like an assistant coaching gig with Barry University during the 1999-2000 season, before taking on the same role with USF in 2000.

Since he was named USF head coach in November of that year, Fernandez has become one of the most successful coaches in collegiate basketball.

He’s totaled over 450 career wins and has won the American Athletic Conference Coach of the Year award twice in 2018 and 2021. 

USF has been to nine NCAA tournaments and produced 11 20-win seasons during his 24-year tenure. The team also won AAC regular season titles in 2021 and 2023.

The Bulls missed postseason play this year following a second-round exit in the AAC tournament.

Related: Women’s basketball coach contract extended through 2029 

Last October, Fernandez agreed to an extension to keep him at USF until 2029. If he breaks his contract, he owes the university  $1 million until June 30, 2026, according to the document.

For the Win reporter Mitchell Northam first broke the news and the Tampa Bay Times confirmed.