Women’s basketball coach contract extended through 2029

The Bulls have made the NCAA tournament for three straight seasons. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF women’s basketball coach Jose Fernandez’s contract was extended through 2029, Vice President for Athletics Michael Kelly announced on Monday.

“[Fernandez] has developed a program that has become one of the most successful and consistent in our department’s history,” Kelly said in a press release. “We are thrilled to have him leading our women’s basketball program through at least the 2028-29 season.”

Since 2020-21, Fernandez has led the Bulls to two regular season AAC titles and the 2021 conference postseason championship.

Fernandez said he is grateful to have had such a long tenure with the program.

“There are not many coaches who can say they have been at a university for the past 23 seasons. I’m humbled and grateful to go into season number 24. I look back to 2000 when [former Athletic Director] Paul Griffin hired me, USF was my dream job and will forever be,” Fernandez said.

“I look forward to continuing our success in the classroom, in the community, and on the basketball floor as one of the best programs in the country.”

Fernandez will aim to lead the Bulls to their second consecutive regular season title and 10th appearance in the NCAA tournament this season.