USF men’s basketball is surging as FAU matchup nears. So is its attendance.

The Bulls are set to play in crucial matchups against Tulsa and FAU this week. Both matchups are expected to have high turnout. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

If you’ve noticed more people filling up the Yuengling Center in recent weeks, you’re not imagining it.

Through its first 13 home games, USF men’s basketball attendance has increased 47% from last season, according to Mike Minyard, associate athletics director for marketing and fan engagement. 

The Bulls’ (17-5, 10-1 AAC) attendance has eclipsed 4,000 over their last three home games.

FAU game could sell out Yuengling Center

As attendance numbers continue to rise, it could surge even higher this week.

USF reported Tuesday that nearly 8,000 tickets had been sold for its nationally televised matchup against No. 25 FAU on Sunday at noon.

The game is on pace for a sellout crowd, which would be around 9,500 tickets, according to Brian Siegrist, associate director of communications and broadcasting.

Around 2,425 tickets were distributed to students and around 5,530 to the general public, Siegrist said.  

In anticipation for the crowd, Minyard said his team is planning to address the increased demand for concessions and parking by adding extra staff. He also said that USF plans to open the typically unused 300 section – the top level – of the Yuengling Center.

Related: USF men’s basketball considered for Top 25 poll 

“You certainly can’t handle these things like normal business,” Minyard said. “This one’s looking to be extra special.” 

Student tickets can still be claimed through Ticketmaster, GoBulls.com or through the Herd Perks app.

Listed above are the nine highest-attended men’s basketball games in the Yuengling Center in School history. ORACLE GRAPHIC/JUSTIN SEECHARAN

Here are a couple factors at play for the uptick in turnout: 

Winning solves everything – including attendance.

As important as marketing is, it can only do so much when the program isn’t performing well.

USF has only had one winning season since its latest NCAA tournament appearance in 2011-12.

After starting out 2-4, the Bulls have won 15 of their last 16 games. Their 17 wins this season have eclipsed last year’s win total of 14.

“It’s not a lack of having the fan base,” Minyard said. “It’s just that they were starved for a product they think that they deserved.” 

Over the last 16 games, the Bulls have played nine home games. During those games, attendance averaged around 4,109.

That average has jumped to 4,987 since Jan. 8, the start of the spring semester.  

Students have played a factor

USF students are a large driver of this rise in attendance. Roughly 3,000 students attended the Bulls matchup against Charlotte, according to Siegriest. 

Minyard said he and his staff have come up with ways to increase student engagement. He said Soflo Rodeo has played a part in driving student attendance. Soflo Rodeo is a student organization that focuses on raising more attendance in student sections at games. It was introduced in November. 

USF Athletics has also tabled at BullsMarket to better engage with the student body. 

Related: SoFlo Rodeo’s consulting company plans to cultivate ‘untapped potential’

These promotions also include its halftime entertainment. As a way to encourage people to show up for a 9 p.m tipoff, USF Athletics set up a light show and gave attendees glow sticks.

“That second half, the crowd made a significant difference and I think it played a key role in us being able to get the win [against Charlotte],” Minyard said. “Having a great student section at that game that was not just there but engaged, made all the difference.”

Amir Abdur-Rahim: ‘A marketer’s dream’

Minyard said there was another reason for the attendance uptick: Bulls coach Amir Abdur-Rahim.

Abdur-Rahim has made a consistent effort to engage with the student body during his first year with South Florida.

Related: Men’s basketball to bring “E.D.G.E.” this season, coach says 

The head coach has been seen frequently around campus.Recently he made appearances in both the Starbucks in the USF Library and Holly Ave where he paid for every customer’s order. 

Ahead of their matchups this week against Tulsa and FAU, Abdur-Rahim and the men’s basketball roster held a pep rally in the Marshall Student Center Amphitheater.

Minyard called Abdur-Rahim “a marketer’s dream.” 

“He makes it really clear that he’s appreciative of everybody that’s putting the time and energy to help support his team and build that program,” Minyard said.

USF will host Tulsa in the Yuengling Center on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ESPN+.

Correction: A previous version of this story misstated Brian Siegrist’s title and misspelled his name. He is the associate director of communications and broadcasting.