Here’s the competition for this year’s USF SG election

Four presidential candidates will run for the position in SG with other executive and legislative branch candidates. ORACLE GRAPHIC/JUSTIN SEECHARAN

With USF’s general election right around the corner, Student Government (SG) announced 80 candidates who will vie for executive and legislative positions on Monday. 

Four presidential and seven gubernatorial candidates will compete in this year’s SG election.

Here’s a look at this year’s executive candidates:

Presidential candidates

The president and vice president will lead SG’s executive cabinet by appointing fellow student leaders and executing programs to benefit USF’s student body, according to the SG website.

SG’s presidential ballot will include three Tampa campus candidates: junior Connor Avila, sophomore Jordan Franklyn McCann and junior Suryakanth Prasad Gottipati. Sophomore Alexa Matos is also running for president from the St. Pete campus, according to Gary Manka, the SG Advising, Training and Operations Director.

The respective vice presidential candidates include junior Tianyi Li Bueso, sophomore Kaitlyn Rodriguez and senior Sumit Subhash Jadhav. Sophomore Rithvik Lee Pack from the Tampa campus will be running alongside Matos.

Gubernatorial candidates

There are also seats open in the executive branch for governor and lieutenant governor. 

Each governor will oversee the operation and implementation of programs and represent the needs of USF students at their respective campuses, according to the job description.

Tampa’s gubernatorial candidates include sophomore Nilufar Majidova, junior Rohan Rayulu Ramayanam, senior Jamar Blaze Smith and junior Ava Moreno. Their respective lieutenant governor prospects include Maryam Ashraf, freshman Krishna Karthik Nanduri, senior Brayden Jahn and sophomore Emma Goodwin.

Freshman David Nguyen is St. Pete’s only gubernatorial candidate and is running alongside freshman Elise Prophete, the campus’ only lieutenant governor candidate.

Sarasota has two candidates for governor, including juniors Alexis Santi and Spence Gerber. They will run with lieutenant governor candidates freshman Kiera McKeon and junior Alexandra Lopez, respectively.

All senate seats and campus council seats are also open in the legislative branch, according to an SG Instagram post.

What’s next?

“Meet the Candidates” will be hosted at the Marshall Student Center (MSC) amphitheater on Wednesday at noon. Student voters will have the opportunity to meet candidates and ask questions about the platforms they are running on.

A “Meet the Candidates” event will also be hosted at the Edge at the St. Pete campus Tuesday at 4:30 p.m.

The presidential debate will be on Thursday and the gubernatorial debate will be on Feb. 22. Both will be hosted at 5 p.m. in the MSC Oval Theater.