NOTEBOOK: Men’s soccer’s offense powers second half comeback

Men’s soccer has scored 16 goals this season. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF men’s soccer’s offense fueled its comeback win against Stetson in Deland, Florida on Oct. 17.  

The Bulls (5-7-1, 2-3-1 AAC) finished out the match 3-2 against the Hatters (6-5-4, 3-1-2 ASUN) in Stetson’s Athletic Training Center. The triad of goals is the most USF has scored in a single match since the Nov. 17, 2022 match against Hofstra.

Their performance last week was a high point in the Bulls season. They average 1.23 goals per game this season.

It was also an offensive breakthrough for a few Bulls players. Junior winger Jeffrey “JT” Copper scored his first goal of the season in the 26th minute, cutting into Stetson’s two-point deficit.

Junior midfielder Marco Astorga’s first score of the season would tie the game 2-2.

Graduate striker Jalen Anderson broke the tie in the 82nd minute. It was his third game-winner this season.

USF attempted nine shots on goal, while the Hatters launched a total of seven by the end of the match.

The Bulls would continue this success in a 2-1 win against  UAB at Corbett Stadium on Saturday. This two-game winning streak is their largest streak of the season so far. 

South Florida will travel to Memphis, Tennessee on Friday to play against the Memphis Tigers. The game will kick-off at 8 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on ESPN+

Women’s soccer ties Rice, beats UTSA 

South Florida women’s soccer traveled to Texas this past week to play Rice on Thursday and  UTSA on Sunday. 

The Bulls (9-5-2, 5-1-2 ACC) tied with the Owls (3-12-2, 1-6-1 AAC) 1-1 after 28 attempted shots on goal from USF and eight attempted shots from Rice.

Sophomore forward/midfielder Gentiana Fetaj scored South Florida’s only goal for the match. It was her second goal of the season and second career goal. 

USF would bounce back in its 1-0 win against UTSA on Sunday, marking the program’s fifth shutout of the season. It was also the second time this year the Bulls held their opponent to zero shots on goal. 

A standout player in the match was Junior midfielder Madison Schwartzenberger. She scored her first career goal and led the Bulls defensive effort.

Schwartzenberger was named AAC Defensive Player of the Week on Monday. She’s the third consecutive Bulls player to receive weekly conference honors.  

Men’s golf collects historic victory at invitational 

South Florida’s men’s golf team traveled to Vero Beach on Oct. 16 to participate in the Quail Valley Invitational.

The Bulls won first place in the tournament, completing their second straight victory of the season. 

USF hasn’t won back-to-back tournaments since the 2018-2019 season. They placed first at the Fort Lauderdale Intercollegiate and USF Invitational in March 2019.

Brock Healy, a graduate transfer from Kennesaw State, obtained his first win at USF during the tournament. He secured the win with a 69 (-3) and finished in a tie for first place with a 203 (-13).