Lunay to headline this year’s USF Homecoming Concert

Students can pre-register for tickets on BullsConnect as they are not yet available for online sale. INSTAGRAM/@LUNAY

Reggaeton artist Lunay will be the first Latino singer to headline USF’s Homecoming Concert at the Yuengling Center on Oct. 12 at 8 p.m., Campus Activities Board (CAB) Coordinator Hannah Sutherland said.

The 22-year-old Puerto Rican rapper’s discography includes songs like “Soltera,” “Ella” and “Aventura,” with many of his songs featuring popular artists such as Daddy Yankee and Bad Bunny. Lunay, whose real name is Jefnier Osorio Moreno, won the Latin American Music Award for New Artist of the Year in 2019

He has accumulated 10.2 million on Instagram and 9.7 million monthly listeners on Spotify

To select an artist, CAB first receives suggestions from students through polls it releases on its Instagram page. CAB’s talent agents then source out artists based on availability and compatibility with the price range, Sutherland said. 

The opener, American rapper Baby Tate, is known for hits “I Am” featuring Flo Mili and “Hey, Mickey!” She currently has 5.5 million monthly listeners on Spotify.

With an $118,000 budget, the concert will be the only Homecoming week event to be ticketed. Students will be able to buy tickets for $10 and bring a guest for $15 through BullsConnect. General admissions for non-students will be priced at $25. 

No date has been announced for when tickets will go on sale, but they can also be purchased at the door on the day. Doors will open at 7 p.m., and the event will be open to the community, students, alumni and staff. 

The budget was split between the artists, and Sutherland said ticket sales will offset the cost of the event. Lunay was paid $75,000 while Baby Tate will receive $30,000. 

Last year, USF paid rapper 2 Chainz $105,000 to perform at the Homecoming Concert, according to an Oct. 10, 2022 Oracle article.

Students are encouraged to pre-register for tickets on BullsConnect when they go on sale, Sutherland said.

Julia Saad, Staff Writer

Julia Saad started as a news correspondent in fall 2022. During Saad's tenure at The Oracle, she has covered a variety of news. However, Saad's favorite topic to cover is being able to place readers in the ambient environments of USF events.

Profile