New Athletics center to be part of on-campus stadium project

Tampa General Hospital’s $25 million donation is the largest gift ever to USF Athletics, according to the announcement on Thursday. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

A new Tampa General Hospital (TGH) Center for Athletic Excellence will be included in the on-campus stadium project following a $25 million donation from TGH. 

Located adjacent to the future $340 million stadium which is set to be built in Sycamore Fields, the center will have a TGH clinical space and will provide behavioral health services, including assessments, treatment, therapies and career mentoring to the USF community, according to Thursday’s announcement of the donation.

It will also become the new home for the football and women’s lacrosse teams and will feature different services for athletes. These include:

• Locker rooms
  • Sports medicine and treatment spaces
  • Strength and conditioning rooms
  • Coaches’ offices
  • Training rooms
  • Nutrition spaces 
  • Hydrotherapy pools for optimal performance and recovery.

The investment into the center is the largest donation ever to USF Athletics, according to the announcement.

President Rhea Law said the gift will have multiple, far-reaching positive impacts on the community in a tweet.

The budget for the 35,000-seat stadium was approved by the Board of Trustees (BOT) on June 13. As part of the plan to finance the stadium, the BOT approved a debt issuance of $200 million. The Board of Governors will vote on the issuance on Friday.

The stadium is expected to open in time for the 2026 football season.