Golesh says starting quarterback has been chosen, yet to be announced

During fall camp, head coach Alex Golesh and his staff evaluated their entire roster, including quarterback, to solidify a depth chart heading into the season. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Less than two weeks out from USF football’s Sept. 2 season opener at Western Kentucky, head coach Alex Golesh confirmed the Bulls have chosen their starting quarterback at a press conference Tuesday.

However, Golesh said their starter won’t be announced publicly until the first game against the Hilltoppers in two weeks.

Currently, the Bulls have four options at quarterback. Senior Gerry Bohanon began last year as the starter until he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury against Tulane on Oct. 15. He’s the most experienced out of the group due to his time at Baylor where he helped lead the Bears to a Sugar Bowl win in 2021.

Redshirt freshman Byrum Brown delivered two stellar solo performances to close the last season and nearly lead the Bulls to an upset over UCF. In those two games, he completed 36 of his 50 passes for 404 yards and five touchdowns with one interception. He also ran for 179 rushing yards and threw three touchdowns on 31 carries.

Newcomers Israel Carter and Bryce Archie could also make a run to be the week one starter.  

Golesh said they have strong depth in the quarterback room, and he sees traits in returning quarterbacks Gerry Bohanon and Byrum Brown that remind him of starting QB’s from his previous stops, like former Tennessee star and current Detroit Lions rookie Hendon Hooker.

Hooker was considered one of the top players in the country last season under Golesh’s offensive system, winning SEC Player of the Year and finishing fifth in Heisman Trophy voting.

“Gerry reminds me a lot of Hendon mentally, [Gerry] has gotten to play in some big time ball games,” Golesh said. “And skill set wise, how they throw the ball and run the ball, Byrum is a young version of that.” 

Archie and Carter have also impressed Golesh since arriving at South Florida.

“Bryce Archie has grown maybe more than anyone in the building since he got here Jan. 9,” Golesh said. “Carter’s a freshman who’s got a tremendous future, he’s going to be really special.”

While the quarterback position may be solidified internally, Golesh said the offensive depth chart remains subject to changes.

“I feel like we’re sitting at a situation where we got seven to eight guys that we feel good about,” he said of his offensive line. 

After receiving redshirt junior running back Nay’Quan Wright and senior Dominic Gonella from the transfer portal, Golesh said the team’s running back depth is also in a good position. 

“I feel really, really confident in our running back room. I think it’s really deep with some really good skill sets,” Golesh said.

After a few more regular practice sessions, Golesh said he will be utilizing a mock game week to finalize the offensive depth chart. 

When USF kicks off their first game against Western Kentucky, a new era, and potentially a brand new offense, will begin.