USF Athletics announces 2023 Hall of Fame class

Women’s soccer forward Evelyn Viens suited up for the Bulls from 2016-19, eventually becoming the first Olympic gold medalist in USF history. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

South Florida announced its 2023 Athletic Hall of Fame class on Thursday, marking the ninth class enshrined since it was established in 2009. 

This year’s three members, Jeff Attinella, Kelly Lagedrost and Evelyn Viens, will be inducted during the Nov. 11 USF football game against Temple at halftime.

Viens became the fourth athlete in school history to be inducted in their first year of eligibility. The other three are Bulls quarterback Quinton Flowers, long jumper Matthew O’ Neal and guard Courtney Williams.

Evelyne Viens, 2016-2019, Women’s Soccer

Forward Evelyne Viens was a three-time All-American selection and was a two-time AAC Player of the Year in 2018 and 2019. She also becomes the first women’s soccer player to be enshrined in the USF Athletics Hall of Fame. 

She led the Bulls to an AAC Tournament title in 2017 and a regular season conference title in 2018. Viens was named Conference Player of the Week a record 15 times, including two National Player of the Week honors from the USCA and Top Drawer Soccer. 

Her 169 career points and 73 goals scored are program records, while her 23 assists rank fifth in USF history. She set the conference record for goals in a season with 25 in 2019. 

A member of the Canadian National Team, Viens also plays professionally for several soccer clubs. She became the first USF alumni to earn an Olympic gold medal when she won during the 2020 Tokyo Games playing for her home country of Canada. 

She was selected fifth overall in the 2020 NWSL Draft by Sky Blue FC. Viens has also played for Gotham FC, Paris FC and Damallsvenskan Club Kristianstads.

Jeff Attinella, 2007-2010, Men’s Soccer

Goalkeeper Jeff Attinella started in 61 career games for USF, compiling a 38-14-9 record. His 28 shutouts marked a program record, including 12 during the 2008 season. 

Attinella set the third-longest home unbeaten streak in NCAA history at 32 games, not losing a home match during his first three seasons at USF. 

He was selected as a member of the NSCAA First-Team All-American team in 2009, becoming just one of three players in program history to earn the distinction. Attinella was also a key factor in the Bulls’ tournament runs, helping lead the team to the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2007 and the NCAA Elite Eight in 2008. 

Real Salt Lake selected Attinella with the 14th pick in the 2011 MLS Draft. He played for the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the NASL in 2012, earning five Defensive Player of the Week honors en route to a NASL Championship victory.

Attinella made 141 appearances in professional soccer, retiring in 2021.

Kelly Lagedrost, 1997-2001, Women’s Golf

Women’s golfer Kelly Lagedrostwill be the first women’s golfer to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame and was a two-time NCGA First-Team All-American in 1998 and 1999. She is the only woman in program history to win two NCAA Regional titles and was a two-time NCAA National Championship qualifier. 

Lagedrost earned C-USA Player of the Year honors in 2000 and 2001 and was a first-team All-Conference selection during all four years at USF. 

She went on to play in the LPGA Tour from 2004 to 2006, finishing 22nd on the money list in 2005. She also appeared in the LPGA Futures Tour from 2002 to 2011. 

During the 2006-07 season, Lagedrost returned to USF to serve as interim head coach. She now serves as the Head of Golf at the Brooksville Country Club in Brooksville, FL.