Women’s golf earns first NCAA Regional bid in over a decade

The team had a scoring average of 73.38 in the 2022-2023 season. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

For the first time since 2012, South Florida’s women’s golf team received an NCAA Regional tournament bid on Wednesday.

This is their first appearance since joining the American Athletic Conference in 2013. Out of 30 teams, USF was slotted at the No. 24 seed. 

South Florida has had one of its best records yet this season, placing a scoring average of 73.38. 

Despite finishing fifth in the AAC Championship tournament on April 17-19, Golf Stat still holds them as No. 57 in the nation. 

In the upcoming tournament, which begins May 8, South Florida will face opponents within the first 12 seeds of the bracket, where USF stands at No. 10.

One such opponent is No. 1 seed LSU, who has won four events this year. LSU’s team average score of 71.33 ranked third in the nation, according to Golfstat .

Junior Melanie Green has been an asset in leading the Bulls’ triumphant season. 

Green’s scoring average of 70.83 puts her at No. 12 in the country, according to Golfstat. She is ranked No. 39 in the country overall. 

She was named to the AAC All-Conference Team for the third time in her career on Wednesday. Only three other players in the program’s history have received this award.

In the Bulls’ last tournament, Green placed fourth to mark her the eighth top 10 finish of the season.  

As a whole, the team has been setting school records this season. South Florida eclipsed a program record of 348 birdies in the 2021-22 season with 397 in 2022-23. 

Last season, the team averaged a score of 294.32 in 28 rounds versus 289.88 this season in 32 rounds.

The team will head to Palm Beach Gardens for the tournament on May 8-10, and if they advance they will face the NCAA Championship come May 19-24 in Arizona. 

Broadcasting and kickoff time for this tournament is still TBA.