Women’s basketball unveils nonconference schedule

Women’s basketball will play seven home games and eight away games in their nonconference slate. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

With the women’s basketball program working to a higher caliber each year, coach Jose Fernandez revealed the 2022-23 nonconference schedule Monday afternoon.

USF begins its season with a four-game home stretch at the Yuengling Center. On Nov. 7, South Florida will take on Morehead State, followed by Florida A&M on Nov. 11. They then will complete the stretch after facing Jacksonville on Nov. 13 and Alabama on Nov. 16.

Out of the four, Alabama is highlighted in red as a competitive program. The Crimson Tide finished their 2021-22 season 20-14 after falling to South Dakota State in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament quarterfinals.

Concluding the stretch, the Bulls will go on the road for six of seven games between Nov. 20 to Dec. 11.

In the Maggie Dixon Classic, the Bulls will play at Texas Christian on Nov. 20. After returning to Tampa for a matchup against New Hampshire on Nov. 22, USF will go on to compete in the Gulf Coast Showcase.

While in the showcase, South Florida will play Georgia Tech on Nov. 25 in Fort Myers. The following day, the Bulls are slated against Air Force or Michigan in the tournament’s second game. They will then finish their time in Hertz Arena against an unannounced opponent on Nov. 28 if they succeed in the first two rounds.

This showcase proves as one of the more difficult sectors of the schedule with basketball powerhouses littered throughout. Georgia Tech completed its season with a 21-11 record and appeared in the NCAA tournament, while Michigan held the No. 3 seed in the NCAA tournament with a 25-7 season.

Air Force is another notable program sporting a 19-14 record in its previous season and defeated San Francisco 64-60 in the first round of WNIT.

The Bulls will complete their road trip with another trip to Texas to play the Longhorns on Dec. 2 and then North Carolina State on Dec. 11.

After returning to USF, they will remain home for two games. The first will be against Marshall on Dec. 14, followed by La Salle on Dec. 17.

For the final nonconference road trip, South Florida will compete in the San Diego Invitational. Their first opponent will be Ohio State at San Diego College on Dec. 20. The next day the team will have a match-up against Oregon or Arkansas.

During the Invitational, the Bulls will have to stay vigilant against the Buckeyes who competed in the Sweet Sixteen with a 25-7 record along with NCAA tournament competitors Oregon and Arkansas.