USF softball continues to rack up awards

Junior outfielder Alexis Johns took advantage of her speed and swiped 59 bases in her 2022 season with the Bulls. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Although the Bulls couldn’t break through in the Tallahassee Regional, they do know how to break records and win awards.

On Wednesday, both senior pitcher Georgina Corrick and junior outfielder Alexis Johns were granted awards based on their season performances and achievements.

Corrick was named to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association first-team All-American, making it her third time gaining the title in her career.

The pitcher is the second player in program history to be a three-time All-American, as well as being the first player since Dawn Mefli in 1992 to claim a top team spot.

With the addition of this name, Corrick has broken or tied 39 AAC and USF records, along with the slew of titles that she already holds.

As her final year comes to a close with USF, she ends her career with a 1.04 ERA, 1,302 strikeouts and a 113-32 record.

Base runner Alexis Johns earned the New Balance/ NFCA Golden Shoe Award after her record-breaking season. The award is given to the softball players who perform with utmost speed during their season.

Johns currently leads the country in stolen bases, tallying 59 for the season and .98 per game.

Not only did Johns break the program record for overall stolen bases in a season, but she beat the record per game as well. She shattered former player AnaMarie Bruni’s numbers of 38 grabs and .76 steals per game.

The outfielder was just as talented in the batter’s box as well, achieving a .341 while also leading the team in batting average in her 2022 season.

Johns is expected to contribute to the Bulls roster for one more year, playing her senior season with USF in 2023.