Mindy McCord named women’s lacrosse head coach

Mindy McCord has not only made multiple NCAA Lacrosse Tournament appearances, but also two Sweet 16 appearances. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

With the women’s lacrosse program preparing to begin in 2023, USF Athletics named Mindy McCord as the program’s first head coach on Tuesday.

McCord coached at Jacksonville University for 13 years. She not only led the program, but made it into what it currently is, with a 170-62 record and helping the team reach its eighth NCAA tournament appearance. She also contributed to 10 conference championships and 11 regular-season titles.

She was also was responsible for the creation of the Virginia Tech program. She took the Hokies’ club lacrosse team and helped it reach Division I status in the ACC.

As a women’s lacrosse college coach, she has a 240-118 record in 21 seasons and is one of the top 20 coaches in the nation. When it comes to coaching at all levels, McCord has accumulated 326 wins.

Her program in Jacksonville was named the most academically successful for two consecutive years with an average 3.76 and 3.7 GPA in 2021 and 2022, respectively. The program also boasts the third-highest GPA in NCAA Division I women’s lacrosse.

Before McCord was ever a coach, she was a starter on the Lynchburg College’s lacrosse team. She was a team captain, rookie of the year, all-conference, regional All-American and North/ South Senior All-Star Game honors while in college.

She was later inducted into the Lynchburg College Hall of Fame in 2015.

“For 20 years, I have been coaching and helping grow the sport of lacrosse in the state of Florida. It’s been a fun, faith-filled, family journey that I wouldn’t trade for anything,” McCord said in a Tuesday press release.

“Now, with the positive culture infused by [Vice President of Athletics Michael] Kelly and his staff at USF, we get to go all out and reach for the highest of heights with Tampa’s first D1 lacrosse team … I am incredibly humbled to take the reins at USF.”