Eisenberg named interim provost amid search

Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Eric Eisenberg will step into the interim provost position May 31 as the search for a permanent successor for Ralph Wilcox begins. FACEBOOK/@USFCASDean

The groundwork has been set for the university’s replacement of Provost Ralph Wilcox with the announcement of Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Eric Eisenberg as the future interim provost, according to a universitywide email Thursday.

Beginning May 31, Eisenberg will enter a transition period to help him prepare for the role and work alongside Wilcox, the email said. Following this time, he will officially assume the position of interim provost Aug. 7, immediately after Wilcox steps down.

The 60-day transition period was implemented by the request of President Rhea Law in order to ensure a smooth shift of duties is guaranteed, Eisenberg said in an email to The Oracle.

Law said Eisenberg’s appointment to the role is a step in the right direction as the hunt for a permanent provost continues.

“Eric’s depth of knowledge, with an extensive background in communication and culture, leaves us in excellent hands as we move ahead in our search,” she said.

In an effort to provide more structure to the search, Law announced in the email that an 18-person search committee has been formed. Alum and former Board of Trustees member John Ramil will lead the committee.

Eisenberg said he doesn’t plan to apply for the permanent position in the future.

“I am simply grateful to be able to serve our wonderful institution and support our new president at this critical and opportune time,” he said.