Corrick named finalist for USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year

Senior pitcher Georgina Corrick is one of 25 finalists for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award, considered the most prestigious individual accolade in NCAA softball. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF softball senior pitcher Georgina Corrick has been named among 25 finalists for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award, the association announced Wednesday.

There are several notable names alongside Corrick in the group of finalists. One of the likely favorites for the award is Oklahoma redshirt senior Jocelyn Alo, who won the trophy last season.

Alo currently leads the country in home runs with 21, and hit her 96th career home run to break the Division I all-time record on March 11. Soon after, she became the first softball player in DI history to surpass 100 home runs. Alo also leads all hitters with a .490 batting average.

One name that may be familiar to USF softball fans is junior infielder Sydney McKinney of Wichita State. She joins Corrick as the only two players among the finalists from the AAC. In fact, the pair are the only players on the list from outside the Power 5 conferences.

McKinney is the defending AAC Player of the Year and played a key role in the Shockers’ conference championship last season. In 2022, she boasts a .477 batting average, sixth-best in the country.

When USF met Wichita State in a weekend series from April 8-10, Corrick got the best of McKinney in every individual matchup. McKinney went 0-for-8 against the Bulls’ ace and was one of Corrick’s many strikeout victims, though she did reach on a fielding error twice and came around to score both times.

Corrick’s dominance in the pitcher’s circle this season has landed her deeper in the running for the award than ever before. Her monopoly over USF program records is well-documented, but her numbers are just as impressive on the national scale. 

As of Wednesday, her 0.48 ERA is the third-lowest in all of Division I. The two ahead of her — Oklahoma’s Hope Trautwein and UMBC’s Courtney Coppersmith — have both pitched over 100 fewer innings than Corrick.

Speaking of innings pitched, the Sanford native also leads Division I in the category by a considerable margin. She has thrown 204 innings, over 30 more than second-place Morgan Scott of UNC-Greensboro.

Corrick is also running away with the strikeout title. She has struck out 315 batters thus far in 2022 — no one else in the country has recorded more than 250. Her effectiveness has led to 15 shutouts in the circle, also top of Division I.

Back in January, Corrick was recognized as one of the 50 players on the watch list for the third consecutive year. The trophy was not awarded in 2020 and Corrick was not named a finalist in 2021.

USA Softball will narrow the finalists down to 10 on May 4, followed by the top 3 to be announced May 18. The 2022 Player of the Year will be named prior to the Women’s College World Series, which is set to start June 2.