2022 USF football schedule released

The Bulls are coming off a 2-10 season in 2021 with just one conference win since coach Jeff Scott arrived in 2020. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

The 2022 USF football schedule was released Thursday afternoon, giving fans the chance to plan their fall around notable opponents and a special return of a former Bull.

The Bulls’ schedule includes three teams who finished 2021 in the AP Top 25 and nine teams who qualified for bowl eligibility. Coach Jeff Scott will welcome back 10 starters on offense and nine on defense while integrating new coordinators on both sides of the ball.

The season will kick off at home on Sept. 3 against BYU, the latest in a four-game series against the Cougars. The Bulls last hosted BYU in a 27-23 victory in 2019, but dropped last season’s road game in Provo, Utah by a score of 35-27.

Former USF offensive tackle Larry Scott will return to his alma mater on Sept. 10, but as the Howard head coach. Larry played on the first USF football team back in 1997 and remained on the team through the 1999 season, back when the program played in Division I-AA, known today as the FCS.

The marquee matchup of USF’s nonconference schedule comes the following week with a trip to Gainesville to meet Florida. The Gators played at Raymond James Stadium for the first time last season, defeating the Bulls 42-20.

One final nonconference road trip to Louisville rounds out September before the Bulls open AAC play at home against East Carolina on Oct. 1. 

The following week, the team will travel to Cincinnati for what is likely the toughest conference game on the schedule. The Bearcats are the defending AAC champions and reached the 2021 College Football Playoff semifinals as the No. 4 seed with a 13-0 record. 

Homecoming is slated for Oct. 15 against Tulane. The Bulls have not won a homecoming game since the 2019 victory over BYU. The team will get their only bye week of the season following Tulane.

The only confirmed Friday night matchup is the penultimate game of the regular season, a road game against Tulsa. Every game prior is set for a Saturday afternoon kick-off.

The 14th edition of the War on I-4 will take place in Tampa in its normal slot as the regular season finale. The date is not yet finalized, but if it takes place on Nov. 25, it will be the Bulls’ second consecutive primetime slot. The game could also be played on Nov. 26, but a date and time will be confirmed in early October, according to USF Athletics.

Every game’s exact kick-off time and TV designation will be announced at a later date.