Round Up Comedy Show returns in person with AGT finalist Preacher Lawson

Tuesday’s comedy show will mark the first one since fall 2020, and the first in-person show since 2019. INSTAGRAM/@preacherlawson

The Round Up Comedy Show will return in person Tuesday, featuring America’s Got Talent (AGT) 12th-season finalist Preacher Lawson.

The show is usually held at the beginning of every semester, but the last Round Up Comedy Show, featuring “Saturday Night Live” star Jay Pharoah, was in fall 2020 and was held on Microsoft Team.

Tuesday’s event will be held in the Marshall Student Center (MSC) Ballroom from 8-9 p.m. Check-in will begin at 6 p.m., and the doors will open at 7:30 p.m. Lawson will be paid $20,000 for his appearance, according to Director of Communications and Marketing Renee Hunt.

As of Monday, 561 students have preregistered on BullsConnect to secure a seat for the show. The show’s capacity is 679 seats.

Hunt encouraged students to RSVP before seats fill up. Early registrants will also have the opportunity to win giveaways, such as card and drawing games.

Lawson is best known for his performance in AGT in 2017. After his season on the show, he was invited to compete in 2019 on America’s Got Talent: The Champions and on Britain’s Got Talent: The Champions, where he finished 5th and 7th place, respectively.

With over 630,000 subscribers on YouTube, Lawson’s day-to-day life can be seen through his comedic travel vlogs, cooking videos and music videos.

“You may know me for various things,” said Lawson on his YouTube channel introduction. “Well [YouTube] is the hub of those things.”

It was tough early on working as a comedian, according to Lawson, but his participation in the AGT program became a life-changing experience.

“Now, since being on [AGT], I sold out every comedy club [I‘ve] ever been to,” said Lawson during his AGT: The Champions interview in 2019.

Although born in Portland, Oregon, Lawson lived most of his adolescent years in Memphis, Tennessee. After starting to write jokes at 16, Lawson became a comedian in what he considers to be his hometown, Orlando.

“I moved 20 times before age 10, but if you asked me what city I’m from I’d say Orlando, Florida,” said Lawson on his website. “That’s where I grew as a comedian.”

Lawson first performed when he was 17. He has won awards such as the 2015 Funniest Comedian in Florida and the 2016 Seattle International Comedy Competition.

Although adapting to moving places and schools numerous times was sometimes difficult, Lawson said he could always find comfort and make new connections by making people laugh.

“Everywhere I’d go I would learn about different people and different cultures,” he said. “But I noticed the one universal language everyone had in common was laughter.”