Corrick strikes out 31 in doubleheader sweep of New Mexico State

Junior Georgina Corrick pitched 14 total innings over two games against New Mexico State on Wednesday. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

The USF softball team defeated the New Mexico State Aggies twice Wednesday due in large part to a dominant performance on the mound by junior Georgina Corrick, who struck out 31 over 14 innings in the two games.

“With [Corrick] in the circle we have full confidence she’s going to get her job done,” redshirt junior Bethaney Keen said after Game 2. “Experiencing [Corrick’s pitching] firsthand, she’s one of the best that it gets, so we’re incredibly proud of her and her hard work.

“She goes after batters just like all our other pitchers try to do as well, and that’s all we can ask for her and all of our pitchers.”

Corrick logged 16 strikeouts and gave up three earned runs over seven innings in Game 1, and the bats came alive for the Bulls (5-6) to push them to a 4-3 win.

Freshman Alanah Rivera got the scoring started with an RBI double in the first inning, which was followed by an RBI groundout by Corrick. Redshirt freshman Jordyn Kadlub also drove in a run with a triple in the second inning.

USF held a 3-1 lead until the top of the third where the Aggies (9-12) came back with two runs to tie the game.

The fourth and eventual game-winning RBI was registered by senior AnaMarie Bruni in the bottom of the fourth. 

In Game 2, USF sent out sophomore pitcher Camryn Dolby to start and followed with freshman Vivian Ponn. The two combined for 4.2 innings and allowed three runs. Corrick stepped in to complete the final 7.1 innings as the game went into extras.

Corrick expressed how much she trusts her teammates to get the job done no matter who’s on the mound.

“I feel super confident [in the bullpen] … this bullpen is like ants, we’re always moving. You’ll always look down here and see activity going on,” she said. “Pitchers throwing, pitchers working on something, even before I got to go in for the second game I was out there working on some stuff.

“I’m so excited and I’m so confident in this bullpen, we’re just a bunch of students.”

The Bulls again led 3-1 early, and it seemed like déjà vu when the Aggies tied it in the top of the third.

This time, however, it took much longer for the Bulls to score the winning run. The 3-3 tie remained until the bottom of the 12th.

A single off the bat of Keen allowed for junior Brooke Leistl to score and give USF a 4-3 victory.

Next up, the Bulls will face Team USA in a three-game weekend series from March 12-14.