NOTEBOOK: Strong: ‘We’ve got to get [McCloud] healthy’

Jordan McCloud may not play Saturday against ECU. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

It isn’t any secret redshirt freshman quarterback Jordan McCloud is hurt.

Coach Charlie Strong even said as much.

“We’ve got to get him healthy,” Strong said in his weekly media availability Monday. “With him, it’s just more about when we get him to the game, he just needs to be healthy.”

McCloud sustained a wrist contusion in a loss to SMU on Sept. 28 and hurt his shoulder in an Oct. 12 win against BYU. He was removed midway through the fourth quarter in Saturday’s loss to Navy in favor of walk-on sophomore Kirk Rygol.

With senior Blake Barnett out for the season with a high ankle sprain and McCloud’s status in question, USF does not have a truly healthy scholarship quarterback and very likely may have to turn to Rygol for Saturday’s game against ECU.

Rygol has only seen action in three games this season, each when things were already well out of reach. In these appearances, Rygol is 5-of-8 for 97 yards and a touchdown.

Strong praised Rygol’s ability to throw the ball, something McCloud has been struggling to do since being injured.

“One thing about him — when he makes up his mind to throw a football, he’s going to throw it,” Strong said. “He has a really strong arm and has a lot of confidence.”

Perhaps most importantly, it would be good for McCloud.

“With [Rygol] playing, it’ll be good for Jordan, because the thing about [McCloud] is we just need to get Jordan 100 percent healthy,” Strong said.

With all that said, Strong also said that if he is fine, McCloud would be the starter Saturday.

Pair of Bulls earn conference honors

For the fourth time this season, USF women’s soccer senior striker Evelyne Viens is the AAC Offensive Player of the Week, the conference announced Monday.

Viens scored two goals last week — the game-tying goal in a 2-1 win against UConn on Thursday and the game-winner in a 2-0 shutout against Temple on Sunday. Viens’ goal Sunday was the 62nd of her career, setting a new AAC record.

Additionally, senior defender Brianna Blethen was named to the AAC Honor Roll for her part on a back line that held UConn and Temple to a combined five shots on target. Blethen also registered four shots on target and assisted on Viens’ goal against Temple.

USF remained stagnant in the TopDrawerSoccer.com Top 25 at No. 21, a position it has held since Oct. 7.

Flanagan named to honor roll

USF men’s soccer junior defender Avionne Flanagan was named to the AAC Honor Roll for the first time this season, the conference announced Monday.

Flanagan technically posted a six-point week, with a goal and an assist counting from a suspended match against Tulsa and a goal and assist scored against Jacksonville on Tuesday.

The points Flanagan registered against Tulsa actually happened Oct. 5 in Tulsa, but due to a suspension of the match, the result was not considered official by the conference until last week.

More about the suspended match can be read in an Oracle story from last week.