OPINION: USF vs. Tulane halftime takeaways

Blake Barnett and the Bulls are trailing to Tulane 27-3 at halftime. USF's offense simply hasn't been producing yards or points. ORACLE PHOTO/SAM NEWLON

USF went to its locker room at halftime trailing 27-3 to AAC opponent Tulane. As of now, the system that records statistics for both teams is unavailable, so here are three takeaways from the first half of play.

Where is Jordan Cronkrite?

Jordan Cronkrite didn’t touch the football until there was only moments left in the first quarter.  Cronkrite came into the game averaging 7.2 yards per carry on 19 carries per contest. He was 67 yards shy of 1,000 yards on the season coming into today. Johnny Ford can carry the load, but the two-headed monster needs to reveal itself in the second half if the Bulls want to make this contest competitive.

Penalties and miscues have led to a three touchdown deficit

Penalties and turnovers have plagued the Bulls in the first half. A muffed punt gave Tulane an opportunity to score and extend its lead. The Bulls are having enough problems tackling the Tulane ball-carriers without giving the Green Wave second chances due to mental mistakes and missed tackles.

Uninspired or unprepared?

The Bulls offense looked unrecognizable in the first half. The Bulls have not established a running game and still look to play-action pass without a formidable running presence. The five-wide offense has been used on multiple occasions but the unwillingness to throw down the field while using that formation is disconcerting. The only impactful plays for the USF offense was an early Blake Barnett scamper that led to the only points of the half and a diving catch by Tyre McCants on a drive that was stalled just a few plays later.