USF pro day to showcase 23 former Bulls

Quarterback Quinton Flowers is one of 23 former Bulls to participate in USF’s pro day. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/CHAVELI GUZMAN

Starting at 9 a.m. on Monday, USF alumni will have the opportunity to showcase their skills at the USF football pro day.

Of the confirmed participants, three Bulls were featured in the 2018 NFL Combine. Quarterback Quinton Flowers, wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling and defensive lineman Deadrin Senat were all invited to the premier NFL scouting event. 

Scantling, USF’s leading receiver last season, was the second-fastest wideout at the combine with a 4.37 second 40-yard dash.  The 6-foot-4 receiver was described by scouts on his NFL Combine online profile  as a, “long strider with build-up speed that eventually overtakes most cornerbacks.”

Senat is projected to be selected in the third or fourth round of the draft by NFL.com. If projections hold true, he will likely be the first Bull picked in 2018. His NFL Combine draft scouting report reads, “Never stops hustling and is willing to chase a tackle opportunity all over the field.”

Flowers ran the fastest 40-yard dash of any quarterback in the combine with an official 4.63 second time. Flowers was also asked to do running back drills at the event. 

Bulls running back coach Shaun King told Ian Rapoport that Flowers would make a quality punt returner in the NFL.

“I’d say it’s kind of a 50-50 thing,” Flowers told the Tampa Bay Times. “Some teams talk about quarterback. Some teams talk about running back. At the end of the day I just want to fulfill my dream and be able to give back once I make it.” 

The three aforementioned players, along with 20 other USF alumni, will work to show NFL scouts how they can fit into professional systems on Monday at the USF Football practice fields.

Some other notable participants include recent graduates kicker Emilio Nadelman, linebacker Auggie Sanchez, offensive lineman Cameron Ruff, as well as former USF standout B.J. Daniels.

Daniels threw for 8,433 yards and 52 touchdowns as USF’s quarterback from 2008-12. In the 2013 NFL Draft, he was selected by the San Francisco 49ers in the seventh round and 237th overall pick. He has since been a journeyman in the NFL, playing for six different teams. 

After a season with the 49ers, Daniels was released and claimed by the Seattle Seahawks. He made a position switch to wide receiver in 2015 and was a part of the Seahawks when they won Super Bowl XLVIII.

Daniels was waived from the team in 2015 and has been signed and released from the Houston Texans, New York Giants, Chicago Bears and Atlanta Falcons.

Daniels is currently listed as a free agent running back and will participate in the Bulls’ pro day looking for another chance in the NFL.