GCP uses Facebook for Week of Welcome event

SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

In an effort to improve students’ international literacy, the USF Global Citizens Project is kicking off its second annual Around the Globe in 50 Days event as a part of Week of Welcome.

The virtual event is set to be 50 days long and will occur on the USF Global Citizens Project Facebook page.

As the event progresses, 50 pieces of thought-provoking global affairs information will be shared with viewers, according to Learning and Development Facilitator, Sommer Mitchell. Information topics include international matters, climate and culture.

Mitchell is using her international studies background to provide the event’s virtual attendees with thought-inciting global data.

With the current political climate, global affairs discussions have the potential to become controversial.

“The goal is to provoke thoughts and to help students become more self aware, not to get anyone to chose a side of a discussion,” Mitchell said. “We do not want to take a political stance, we want to think about global issues.”

Attendees and engagement will be tracked using Facebook tools.

A major focus of the Global Citizens Project is helping students attain the Global Citizenship Award and potentially a $2,500 study-abroad scholarship.

Requirements for the award include an adventure workshop, involvement in global on-campus events, globally focused activities and a progressive reflection process.

“We want to be more than working toward an award,” Mitchell said. “We too can get global information out and available and develop global competencies.”