Women’s basketball adds third 5-star recruit to 2017 class

Coach Jose Fernandez continues to recruit talented international players, as he has three 5-star European recruits committed for next season already.
ORACLE FILE PHOTO/JACKIE BENITEZ

Coach Jose Fernandez added another 5-star recruit to his 2017 recruiting class Wednesday with the signing of Silvia Serrat.

Serrat, a 6-foot guard from Banyoles, Spain, becomes the third 5-star recruit in Fernandez’s 2017 recruiting class.

In Spain, Serrat played for the youth national team over the past two years, averaging nine points and eight rebounds per game while shooting 63 percent from the floor.

Serrat will play for the Bulls next season alongside Alba Prieto and Vanessa Blagmon, the other two 5-star recruits in the class.

The trio will join a roster of 10 players including four returning starters.

With the addition of Spain natives Prieto and Serrat, the Bulls will feature eight international players in their 2017-2018 campaign.

Football season ticket sales up from last year

USF announced Wednesday that 8,734 season tickets have been sold for the Bulls’ 2017 football season as of March 31, an increase of nearly 1,300 from the same time last year.

The school sold 12,151 total season tickets last season, and is well on pace to pass that number in 2017.

The Tampa Bay Times reported on Tuesday that USF saw a 41 percent increase in home attendance from the 2015 season.

Averaging 37,539 fans per home game, USF ranked third in the AAC behind East Carolina (44,113) and Houston (38,953).

USF will have seven home games in 2017, and will play its annual spring game at 4 p.m. on Saturday at Corbett Stadium. Admission will be free.

Men’s Basketball nabs first signing 

USF men’s basketball coach Brian Gregory announced the signing of Justin Brown to a national letter of intent on Wednesday afternoon.

A 6-foot-6 guard/forward from Birmingham, Alabama, Brown is the first official signing for Gregory as USF’s head coach.

Brown, who graduated high school in 2016, elected to play a season at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Virginia.

In his one season at Hargrave, Brown helped lead the Tigers to a 43-2 record, averaging 11 points, seven rebounds and two steals per game.

With Brown’s addition to the roster, the Bulls currently have seven available scholarships and only one verbal commit as of Wednesday.