USF softball splits doubleheader

USF pitcher Hannah Parker closed out the Bulls’ 6-4 win over Boston College on Wednesday.  ORACLE PHOTO/JACKIE BENITEZ

The Bulls took on both Pennsylvania and Boston College on Wednesday night at USF Softball Stadium, earning a quality win as well as a head-scratching loss.

Surviving a last inning scare, the Bulls defeated Boston College (14-9) in the first leg of their double header, 6-4.

USF declined to make players and coaches available to The Oracle. 

Down by four entering the seventh inning, a hit batter, then a two run homer for the Eagles cut the Bulls lead down to two.

Following the two-run shot, the Eagles notched another base hit, bringing the potential tying run to the plate, and prompting Coach Ken Ericksen to make a pitching change. 

Ericksen called on the game’s original starter, Hannah Parker, to come in and close out the win.

Parker would do just that, retiring the next three Eagles she faced, snapping Boston College’s three game win streak.

Pitching six innings total, giving up two earned runs, Parker held the Eagles in check, while the Bull’s bats handled the rest. 

The top seven batters of the Bulls lineup recorded a hit against Boston College, including a three-run long ball via Cassidy Boyle.

The Bull’s bats, however, would go cold in their second matchup of the night.

Facing off against the Pennsylvania Quakers, the Bulls dug themselves a hole early, and were unable to pull their way out.

With Cheyenne Eggens on the mound to start the game, the Bulls surrendered a double, an error, then a base hit. Down 2-0, and having faced only three batters, Eriksen elected to pull Eggens in favor Susan Wysocki.

Wysocki allowed no earned runs.

Parker would do the same, coming in relief for Wysocki in the top of the sixth, pitching her way out of a bases loaded jam.

The problem for the Bulls wasn’t on the mound, but at the plate.

Despite knocking two balls out the park, the Bulls struggled to get on base throughout, recording just three hits.

The loss is the Bulls first of the season to a team with a losing record, and the Quakers first win against a team with a winning record.

The Bulls will be back in action on Friday, when Purdue (3-16) comes to Tampa at 2 p.m.