Eriksen leaves field heated after loss

USF managed just two hits in its 5-0 loss to Villanova. 
ORACLE PHOTO/JACKIE BENITEZ

Going hitless through the first four innings, it was apparent USF softball coach Ken Eriksen was displeased with the approach his players were taking to the plate Sunday, constantly throwing his arms up in frustration.

With the Bulls winning seven of their first 10 matchups, including a 6-4 triumph over No. 6 Michigan, 2017 was off to hot start.

But in contrast to their early season success, the Bulls were a totally different team against the Villanova (6-4), both on and off the field, falling to the Wildcats 5-0 at the USF Softball Stadium.

But USF’s on-field struggles weren’t the only thing off Sunday afternoon.

Following their defeat, the sports information director for USF softball said that Eriksen would not be available for interviews postgame after he left the field directly following the game. The media was also told that players would not be available for interviews for games until further notice.

Not speaking to the media after games is uncommon for Eriksen, according to the SID, even when it’s coming off of a loss.

This comes two weeks after the removal of former AAC Player of the Year center fielder Juli Weber.

Released from the team on Feb. 21 for undisclosed reasons, the Bulls have been playing without one of their offensive leaders from 2016 in Weber, who batted .406 in 2016.

The Bulls (13-7) are still in a prime position to make a run for their fourth NCAA tournament in five years, and will have a shot at redemption when Boston College and Penn come visit Wednesday.