Bulls fall in seventh-straight conference game

USF center Ruben Guerrero had a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds Saturday against Tulsa, but the Bulls came up short in a 79-67 defeat. ORACLE FILE PHOTO

USF men’s basketball fought hard at home, but came up short in defeat to Tulsa, 79 to 67 at the Sun Dome. Coach Murry Bartow is still proud of his team for their valiant effort in Saturday’s game, as well as recent practices. 

Determined to pull the falling Bulls back to their feet, Bartow is leading by example with hard work of his own.

“I’ll be here all night,” Bartow said. “I may not even sleep tonight because this thing is going to turn (around).” 

For that turn to come however, the Bulls need to keep opponents away from the foul line. USF was called for 30 personal fouls against Tulsa on Saturday, leading to 38 free throws for the Golden Hurricanes. Contrarily, USF averages just 19.2 free throw attempts per game.

The fouls also had an effect on the Bulls’ offense. Guard Geno Thorpe, who averages 14 points a game for the Bulls, fouled out of the game with 11 minutes still left to play. Losing a pinnacle piece of their offense, the Bulls stalled and struggled to score the ball following his departure.

Despite the loss, Bartow had nothing but positives to say about his team, and their improvements as of late. 

“When I’m sitting here on Wednesday, I expect good things to be happening,” Bartow said. 

Bulls fans, and players likewise hope that those good things turn into a win. The Bulls have dropped their last six games, all against conference opponents. The Bulls are last in the AAC, one place worse than where they finished last season. They’ll have a chance to end their losing streak on Wednesday when the UConn Huskies (7-11) come to town.