Bulls look to end UConn’s 90-game streak

Sophomore forward Kitja Laksa leads USF with 21.6 points per game due in large part to her 42.9 percent shooting on 3-point attempts. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/JACKIE BENITEZ

While the UConn women’s basketball team will be looking to tie its own NCAA record of 90 consecutive wins tonight in Hartford, No. 20 USF will be in search of making some history of its own when they travel to Storrs, Connecticut.

The Bulls, who have yet to defeat the Huskies, enter tonight’s game riding a 13-1 start to the season behind the shooting of AAC Player of the Week Kitija Laksa.

The sophomore forward leads USF with 21.6 points per game due in large part to her 42.9 percent shooting on 3-point attempts, and will encounter a defense that has limited AAC opponents to under 50 points in both games.

No stranger to blowing out teams on it way to setting records, the Huskies have won by at least 20 points in eight of their 14 wins this season. Though this has been nothing new for Geno Auriemma-led teams, the close contests have.

UConn, whose top three players were drafted consecutively to begin the 2016 WNBA Draft, fell to an unusual No. 3 AP ranking to open the season before quickly climbing back to No. 1, but not without some close calls.

After opening the season with a two-point win against Florida State, UConn uncharacteristically won by just 11 over Baylor and Notre Dame while also inching out an 87-81 win over Maryland on Dec. 29.

Despite the graduation of the program leaders in scoring and rebounding in Courtney Williams and Alisia Jenkins last season, the Bulls have maintained their national ranking with only one slip-up, a 73-68 loss to Long Beach State on Dec. 19, along the way.

Aside from Laksa, the Bulls have replaced Williams’ production with 14 points per game from both Maria Jespersen and Ariadna Pujol.

Though USF has struggled dismantling UConn in years past, the Bulls’ new-look roster enters tonight’s contest with a shot at ending the streak.

Tip-off is at 7 p.m.