Student arrested for armed robbery

Keion Cantrell, 20

Early Tuesday morning, University Police (UP) received a call from a pizza deliveryman reporting an armed robbery.

USF resident Keion Cantrell reportedly approached the deliveryman requesting a free pizza outside of the Holly Apartments on campus. Cantrell had what turned out to be a fake handgun inside of his waistband.

The driver fled the area and called UP.

A series of alerts went out to students at about 4 a.m. advising them to be vigilant in the area.

According to UP Public Information Officer Renna Reddick, there’s an ongoing investigation to find out more information about the incident. However, after an interview with police, Cantrell was arrested and was being held on a $15,000 bond at Orient Road Jail.

She said that after his arrest Cantrell made a statement that he was “only joking.”

“However, we cannot speak to his motivation of making such a statement when he fulfilled the elements of a violence crime,” Reddick said.

She also said that Cantrell will be classified as trespassing by UP should he return to campus.

It was not determined whether Cantrell was under the influence of any substances.

“Determining the absence or presence of a controlled substance was not a factor given the nature of the offense,” Reddick said.