Runners in tutus take to USF for SDPB’s 5K Tutu Run

USF will host the Student Dance Production Board’s (SDPB) third annual 5K Tutu Run Saturday on campus. The Tutu Run, open to everyone, acts as a fundraiser for the Michelle Vargas Scholarship Fund.

The run is a fun way to contribute to the arts and raise awareness about its lack of funding. Participants are told to wear a tutu as they complete their run, a detail that makes the event more entertaining for everyone, including the passersby. Don’t despair if you don’t have a tutu — during registration, a build- your-own tutu station will be open to those participating, along with a station where you can rent a pre-made one.

The SDPB is a student-run organization at USF responsible for the management of the annual Student Dance Concert, which includes scheduling and promoting the concert, as well as fundraising for the Michelle Vargas Scholarship Fund created in honor of USF dance major Michelle Vargas, who died in 2009. It’s a yearly, performance-based scholarship awarded to dance majors and funded by events such as these.

To register for the run and donate to the Michelle Vargas Scholarship Fund, go to usfstudentdance.weebly.com/tutu-run. It costs $15 dollars for students and $20 for adults to sign up online, and runners must bring their receipt to the check-in before the run. The registration page closes 11:59 p.m. Friday. However, runners can also register at the event itself for a price of $20 for students and $25 for adults.

Registration begins at 8 a.m., and the run will start at 9 a.m. at USF’s Castor Beach. The course stretches 5K all along the campus until racers return to the beach, and prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third place runners after the event.

If you don’t wish to participate but would still like to support the Michelle Vargas Scholarship Fund, go to usfstudentdance.weebly.com/fundraising to make a donation.