Flooding in library causes temporary closure

The library was evacuated Monday morning due to flooding from the first floor bathroom. Though the carpets were still drying after the building reopened to students, there’s no lasting damage at this time. ORACLE PHOTO/MIKI SHINE

Students passing by the library Monday were greeted by a chorus from library employees to point out “the library’s closed due to flooding. Go to the Marshall Student Center to print.”

At about 10 a.m., a “plumbing issue escalated very quickly” in the first floor restroom. Before the water flow could be shut off, gallons of wastewater had flooded the lobby, Library Services Manager Scott Ryan said in an email statement.

“Evacuating the building is not take lightly, as it disrupts many academic activities, exams and group study sessions,” Ryan said. “The library staff evacuated each floor through the emergency exits of the building to avoid the main lobby. 

“Monday is one of the busiest days in the building, … (and) evacuating the building is not taken lightly.”

According to Ryan, cleanup went smoothly and was finished around 1:30 p.m., however the blockage was not cleared until about 3:45 p.m. 

“Unfortunately, over a thousand students were turned away during the repairs.

“The most difficult part of it all for the customer service staff was explaining the situation to so many disappointed students. We finally re-opened around 4 p.m. and services resumed with a few air blowers remaining to dry the cleaned floors.”