George Kiefer earns 150th win as USF blanks Cincinnati

USF coach George Kiefer credited his assistants and players for reaching the milestone. ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

George Kiefer had no idea USF’s 3-0 shutout victory over Cincinnati on Saturday night marked his 150th victory with the Bulls.

Still, the 14th-year coach didn’t hesitate to give credit to others.

“It’s great assistant coaches, great administration that supports what you do,” Kiefer said. “It’s about everybody else, really, and me just trying to manage everything. 

“It always comes down to the players.”

Senior defender Brendan Hines-Ike, who transferred to the program from Creighton during the offseason, gave Kiefer the credit he was too humble to voice, instead. 

“He’s a very personable coach,” Hines-Ike said. “He tries to bring himself to the level of the players and get right in their heads with them. He tries to think what they’re thinking. He’s also very smart, tactically. He knows the game very well. So for me, it’s always a pleasure to work with him.”

Kiefer said he’s proud to see how well his players have learned to communicate, specifically, against Cincinnati (6-5-2, 1-1-2 AAC) at Corbett Stadium.

The Bulls (9-3, 4-0) played well defensively and won the possession battle. They struck first in the 12th minute as sophomore midfielder Eduardo Maceira found the back of the net on a corner kick by defender Liam McNally.

Hines-Ike extended their lead to 2-0 off a free kick from 25 yards in the 42nd minute. Junior forward Melvin Becket provided an insurance tally in the 59th. 

USF outshot Cincinnati 14-5 for the game and held the Bearcats to two shots in the first half.

“He’s always about the team first,” Hines-Ike said of Kiefer. “But for him, it’s a great milestone.

“To be a part of it, I’m so pleased and happy.”