USF men’s soccer shuts out North Florida 2-0

Freshman Gabriel Carlsson scored his first career goal in the 26th minute to give USF a 1-0 lead over UNF. ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

The USF men’s soccer team continued its four-game homestand at Corbett Stadium, hosting the University of North Florida on Monday night. The Bulls’ physical play and persistent offensive pressure proved to be too much for the Ospreys, leading to a 2-0-shutout win.

The Bulls maintained relentless pressure on UNF’s side of the pitch, resulting in seven corner kicks in the first 45 minutes. 

The Bulls were finally able to break through in the 26th minute, with freshman midfielder Gabriel Carlsson netting his first collegiate goal past UNF goalkeeper Kyle Nasta.

“It was a bit of a relief, playing now in our sixth game,” Carlsson said of scoring his first goal. “It’s always good to score and to have that done.” 

Carlsson, a Stockholm native, is still adjusting in his first season as a USF transfer from Swedish Soccer Club, Taby FK.

“It’s taken a while,” he said. “The weather is still hot for me — Sweden is not that hot, so I get a bit tired. But I’m developing, I’m getting better and better, and I’m adjusting.”

USF sustained their momentum in the second half, finishing the game with 13 shots. The Bulls added a second goal in the 61st minute from junior midfielder Marcus Epps on a cross from sophomore forward Eduardo Maceira.

Junior goalkeeper Spasoje Stefanovic quelled every offensive opportunity that UNF was able to muster, most of which came in the second half. 

Stefanovic turned away the Ospreys with a career-high nine saves to maintain his third shutout of the season.

The Bulls, who move to 4-2, have one game remaining before the beginning of AAC play. The Bulls host Florida Gulf Coast Saturday at 7 p.m.