Bulls look to start new home streak

Casey Mulholland. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/BRANDON BENJAMIN

USF’s 14-game winning streak at home was snapped Sunday against East Carolina, but the Bulls look to get back in the win column tonight when they host Stetson at 6:30.

The Bulls hadn’t lost at home since March 1, and prior to this past weekend, the Hatters hadn’t won on the road since March 8. Stetson is 3-10 on the road after picking up two wins in South Carolina against USC Upstate this weekend. 

The Hatters dropped Sunday’s finale 2-1, which places them third in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Meanwhile, the Bulls sit atop the AAC standings even after getting shut out 6-0 Sunday.

Tonight’s rubber match will be the third and final time USF (24-12-1, 7-2 AAC) and Stetson (19-18, 4-2 A-Sun) meet this season.

Both teams have had dominant wins — and losses — since the Hatters beat the Bulls 6-3 March 31. USF has won four of seven, while Stetson has taken five of seven. 

The Hatters outscored their opponents 33-11 in those wins, but suffered an embarrassing 22-2 loss to Florida two weeks ago.

The Bulls were shut out twice this season, against UConn on April 3 and East Carolina on Sunday.

USF’s most comfortable win came Saturday behind pitcher Casey Mulholland, who was named to the AAC Honor Roll on Monday for his impressive performance. The senior struck out 10 over eight-shutout innings against East Carolina.

“I think (Saturday) was probably (Mulholland’s) best outing of the year,” coach Mark Kingston said. “Fastball was up to 92, 93. He had command, threw his off-speed stuff for strikes. He was just really sharp with great stuff against a good-hitting ball club.”

Catcher Levi Borders led the Bulls on offense in the 10-0 win. The junior collected six RBIs after hitting his sixth home run and 10th double of the season. 

Borders (.319) and freshman Kevin Merrell (.303) are the only Bulls batting over .300. 

Vance Vizcaino, Will Mackenzie and Cory Reid are batting .338, .323 and .309 for the Hatters.