Bulls continue to battle through AAC play

Erica Nunn, who leads the Bulls in wins and strikeouts, was the only USF pitcher to win a game over the weekend. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/SEBASTIAN CONTENTO

The USF softball team continues its back-and-forth play as it makes its way through the conference schedule. The Bulls have a 3-4 record in the AAC after splitting a series with UConn over the weekend.

On its second road trip of conference play, USF split Friday’s doubleheader with UConn (11-22, 1-4) before having Saturday’s rubber game canceled due to unplayable weather conditions.

The Bulls took Game 1 against the Huskies 3-2 before falling short in Game 2 after a six-run rally.

USF got off to a quick start in Game 1, with a third-inning score by Cassidy Boyle off fellow freshman Astin Donovan’s single.

The Bulls would tack on two more runs in the fourth with three consecutive doubles. Junior Lee Ann Spivey started off the inning with a double down the left-field line, followed by senior Karla Claudio. Freshman Lauren Evans capped off the inning with an RBI-double that gave USF a 3-1 lead, a lead it would hold on to until the end.

Junior Erica Nunn (9-5) pitched five innings, giving up one earned run before Claudio entered for her nation-leading seventh save of the season. 

Game 2 had a different storyline.

USF’s Sam Greiner allowed five earned runs in the first three innings, including two RBI-singles by UConn’s Alyson Ambler in the second inning to bring the score to 6-0.

Greiner then regained some composure in the fourth and retired the side, sparking the Bulls, who erupted for five runs in the top of the fifth.

Evans’ third double of the day scored two, only to be followed by freshman Mia Fung’s three-run homer.

The USF freshman stepped up to the plate for the Bulls, accounting for all six of the team’s RBIs.

UConn added two runs in the sixth, including a sacrifice fly by Jacklyn Dubois that gave the Huskies an 8-6 lead heading into the seventh.

USF rallied once again, as it has often done this season, but left the tying run on base, ending the comeback attempt as they fell 8-7.

Despite the 3-4 record, USF has played fairly well in conference play, averaging four runs per game with a .281 team batting average.

Spivey and Claudio have led the way with a combined 17 hits, nine runs and 14 RBIs.

The Bulls currently have eight batters hitting over .300, with 12 scoring at least one run. 

In the circle, redshirt freshman Susan Wysocki has been solid in her two starts with a 1-1 record and a team-low 0.66 ERA.

USF gets a break from conference play Wednesday when it travels to Fort Myers to play Florida Gulf Coast University at 6 p.m. for its last non-conference game of the season.