Claudio caps list of Bulls with weekly honors

Freshman outfielder Astin Donovan leads all freshmen with 12 RBIs, batting .361 on the season. ORACLE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

As USF Softball prepares for four midweek games, three Bulls found themselves with AAC weekly honors after an impressive sweep of the Under Armour Showcase.

Among those Bulls was senior Karla Claudio who went 2-0 with three saves in six appearances as the Bulls went 7-0 last week, earning her the Pitcher of the Week Award.

This is Claudio’s first time receiving the honor. She set a career-high mark in strikeouts with seven in a 5-3 win over Mercer on Saturday.

Joining Claudio on the honors list were freshman Astin Donovan and sophomore Kristen Wyckoff. Both players made their first appearance on the AAC Honor Roll.

Donovan has been one of the leading freshmen on the team batting .361 in 22 starts.

The right fielder leads all freshmen with 12 RBIs including back-to-back three-RBI games against Portland State (5-15) and Toledo (7-11).

Donovan also recorded her first homerun in USF’s 7-1 win over Portland State.

Wyckoff led the team with nine hits last week while stealing a team-high five bases.

The second basemen scored five runs, bringing her team-leading total to 22.

Wyckoff has been one of the offensive leaders on the team sitting in the top-three in hits (22), RBIs (16), triples (3) and stolen bases (10).

Coach Ken Eriksen — the all-time leader in wins among all USF sports — continues his quest for 800 as the Bulls (17-7) play four double headers this week with nine games in just five days.

Eriksen currently sits at 799 wins.

USF plays Yale and Maine in a back-to-back double header tonight starting at 5 before returning to action Wednesday for a double header against Lehigh and Georgetown.