New QB Kean ready to compete

Incoming freshman Brett Kean is the only quarterback in the Bulls' 2015 recruiting class. PHOTO TAKEN FROM @bkeanqb4

As Brett Kean watched the snow fall outside the window of his Lakewood, Ohio home Wednesday, visions of warm sunshine, beaches and palm trees swirled around his head.

And plenty of winning football, too.

In an interview with The Oracle, Kean, who was USF's lone quarterback signee of the 2015 recruiting class, painted a bright future for a program desperately in need of a spark heading into coach Willie Taggart's third season.

"USF gives me a great opportunity," said Kean, who is listed as a three-star prospect by 247Sports.com. "I think it's a great team. It's just missing a couple pieces and I think we can get it back to where they used to be."

It shouldn't take 6-foot-1, 205-pound Kean very long to get acclimated to his position, as he'll have a familiar face to turn to for guidance: fellow Bulls QB Mike White.

Kean and White were teammates at University School in Fort Lauderdale for two years before Kean transferred to St. Edwards (Ohio) for his junior season in 2013. In November, he helped guide the Eagles to a state title and the No. 17 ranking in the nation by MaxPreps.com.

Kean, who chose the Bulls over offers from Florida International and Ball State, among others, believes he can bring that same championship pedigree to USF, which hasn't earned a bowl berth since its Meineke Car Care Bowl victory against Clemson nearly five years ago.

"I think we expect ourselves to (make a bowl game)," he said. "I think it's almost an expectation for our program. We have so much talent on the team, it's an expectation at this point, because we need to get there. … We'll definitely get there."

Once preseason camp rolls around, Kean, a pro-style quarterback, might find himself in the conversation for the starting job, along with sophomore Quinton Flowers, senior Steven Bench and White.

But even if he doesn't, Kean said he's going to work and prepare every day like he's the starter.

"I'm just trying to give myself the best opportunity to go and compete," he said. "I'm a pretty quick learner, so I'm going to work and learn as much as I can, be a film rat in the film room every day … and just keep working."